Rummage in the Ramp overview
Rummage in the Ramp is an annual City-sponsored effort that began in 2007 to keep tons of reusable items out of the landfill, and get those items to those who need them when the lease changeover occurs annually at the end of July. Environmental and human services non-profit groups work the event, and split the profits.
Donations are tax-deductible and most items are priced at $1, $5, $10 and $20.
Over the course of Rummage in the Ramp's eleven years, residents have diverted more than 245 tons of furniture, housewares, clothes, books and so much more from the landfill. Almost 6,000 people have donated, around 22,000 have shopped, and 1,900 have volunteered from dozens of local non-profit groups, sharing the $147,100 collected.
Rummage in the Ramp 2017
This year's event will be held from Wednesday, July 26 to Thursday, August 3. Check back here regularly for more information!
- Wednesday, July 26: 4 to 7 p.m. *we'll begin taking donations at 4 pm*
- Thursday, July 27: noon to 7 p.m.
- Friday, July 28: noon to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, July 29: 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Sunday, July 30: noon to 7 p.m.
- Monday, July 31: noon to 7 p.m. *we'll be very selective about taking donations after today*
- Tuesday, August 1: noon to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 2: noon to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, August 3: noon to 7 p.m.
Can't get your stuff to the Ramp? Schedule a pick-up!
Residents who live within Iowa City city limits will be able to schedule a pick-up from a local volunteer group between July 26 and July 31 for $10. We are working on the sign-up now, and will it post here when it's ready.
**Please note that very heavy items such as sofa sleepers and pianos will not be picked up.**
What will be accepted at Rummage in the Ramp?
Most items that are in usable working condition will be accepted, including furniture, household items, small appliances, clothes, toys, books and electronics. Staff and volunteers have the right to refuse items we cannot sell.
Working and non-working electronics will be accepted, either for resale or recycling. Televisions and computers will be accepted, working or non-working, for a $15 recycling fee.
What will NOT be accepted?
- Mattresses, box springs or water beds **NEW THIS YEAR**
- Items without all the parts/pieces
- Broken or non-working appliances
- Items beyond usefulness
- Items that are not assembled (unless all bolts/parts are attached in a baggie)
- Broken, torn or stained furniture
- Ripped, torn, dirty, or stained clothing
- Items with an objectionable odor
Contact Jennifer Jordan at 319-887-6160 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don't want to wait to donate items?
Don't wait for Rummage! We do not have the capacity to store donated items until our event, but you don't have to wait if you are ready to purge. Please see the Iowa City Resale and Consignment Directory for year-round consignment and donation opportunities in Johnson County, or check directly with local human service agencies.
As part of the City of Iowa City’s longstanding Rummage in the Ramp resale event – the City is offering an opportunity to “redo” a donated item and win some cash too!
The Rummage ReDux Challenge is an opportunity to transform used items found at Rummage in the Ramp from serviceable to spectacular, all while competing for a top prize of $300. Learn more about how the challenge works and how to participate by reading our web article.
For more information about the Rummage ReDux Challenge, contact Public Art Program Coordinator Marcia Bollinger at 319-356-5237 or Marcia-Bollinger@iowa-city.org.