Covid-19 has presented many changes to our normal routines. Iowa City Parks and Recreation is implementing a phased reopening of recreation centers, pools, registered programs, and other activities throughout the spring, summer, and fall of 2021.
- The Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center is scheduled to re-open this fall.
- Pool passes and punch cards are now accepted.
- Individuals using the pools will not be required to wear masks.
Pool Schedules & Pricing
All times and classes are subject to change without advance notice.
Please view our monthly pool schedules which include age requirements
To read the pool rules in the language of your choice select one of the links below.
Swim Lessons Scholarship
Learning to swim is a life skill of which everyone should have access to. The Swim Lesson Scholarship Program aims to eliminate financial barriers for Iowa City residents needing basic swim instruction to create a community filled with competent swimmers with safety awareness around water. To learn more about the Swim Lesson Scholarship program or to apply.
Fall Aquatics Lessons
We offer swim lessons at all three pools, including:
- American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Levels: Parent-Child 1-2, Preschool 1-3, and Levels 1-6
- Custom Private Lessons: scheduled based on enrollees scheduling preferences
- Arranged Private Lessons: scheduled at arranged times at our facilities
- Adaptive Private Lessons: designed for individuals with mental or physical disabilities
- View our Swim Lesson Level Guide
Fall recreation registration begins Tuesday, August 17th, at 7 am. Age will be determined by the start of the program date. To learn more about the summer aquatics programs offered by Iowa City Parks and Recreation or to register online through ActiveNet click on the program categories below.
- Adapted Lessons
- Private Lessons
- Preschool 1
- Preschool 2
- Preschool 3
- Level 1
- Level 2
- Level 3
- Level 4
- Level 5
For a full view of available lessons, please view the summer 2021 swim lesson matrix.
Water Fitness Classes
Water fitness classes are offered at Mercer Park Aquatic Center Pool and Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center and seasonally at City Park Pool. We offer the following classes:
- Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program
- Deep and Shallow Water Classes
- Low, Moderate, High-intensity Classes
Beginning in September, Participants are able to participate in one of the three ways.
- $16 for four-week session (5 participant minimum required the week before to run session)
- No refunds for missed classes
- Participant will be on the roster that the instructor checks off
- $6 per class
- Participant will bring a physical card pass to instructor
Monthly Fitness Pass
- $50 per month
- Must start at beginning of the month
- No pro-rated dates or staggered start dates
- Participant will show a physical card pass to instructor
We also offer new Water Fitness Private Lessons, to learn more on these visit ActiveNet.
Classes can be cancelled due to instructor availability, weather, or pool conditions. Please check the RainOut Line (extension 40) for day-of updates.
Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center Pool
Currently Closed until Fall 2021
Located in the Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center
220 S. Gilbert Street
Iowa City, IA 52240
Pool Temperature: 83 - 85°
The Robert A. Lee Community Recreation Center pool is located at 220 S. Gilbert Street in downtown Iowa City. This is an L-shaped pool featuring a 25-yard main body, with the water ranging from 3 to 5 feet in this area. The bottom of the ‘L’ is a 10-foot deep diving well that does not have a diving board. There is a wading pool area that requires children to have adult supervision. This pool is in operation on a year-round basis.
Mercer Park Aquatic Center
Located in Mercer Park Aquatic Center/Scanlon Gym
2701 Bradford Drive
Iowa City, IA 52240
Pool Temperature: 79 - 81°
The Mercer Park Aquatic Center is divided into three separate sections. The deep section is on the east end of the pool. This section is 25 yards long; depth ranges from 4'6" to 12' and contains two (2), one-meter diving boards. The middle section is 25 yards long; depth ranges from 4'2" to 4'6". The shallow section is on the west end of the pool. It is approximately 2'6" to 4'. There is an outside wading pool area that requires children to have adult supervision.
The Mercer Park Aquatic Center is equipped with a 12-person spa. The use of the spa is restricted to adults (16 years or older) and children who are directly supervised by a responsible adult (someone 16 years or older). Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, pregnant women, young children, and others with health concerns should consult a physician before using the spa. To ensure proper function of the spa, the pool manager reserves the right to restrict use by children (15 years and younger) during times of peak use. The spa is not open for use during times reserved for swimming lessons.
City Park Pool
Located in City Park
200 Park Road
Iowa City, IA 52245
Pool Temperature: Unheated
The City Park pool is located outdoors on Park Road in Upper City Park on the northwest side of Iowa City. This is a T-shaped pool featuring a super shallow area on both sides of the ‘T,’ a 50-meter and 25-yard lap swim area, and two (2) one-meter and two (2) three-meter diving boards. The pool depth ranges from 1 to 14 feet. The facility also features a small wading pool for use by young children being directly supervised by a responsible adult (16 years or older). City Park pool is open seasonally.
Iowa City Parks and Recreation manages three splash pads. The features are touch-activated, and the water turns off after a designated period of time. The splash features operate 9 a.m.-8 p.m., daily, from Memorial Day to Labor Day (weather and maintenance dependent). For more information on pool or splash pad closures visit Iowa City Parks and Recreation Rainout Line. There is no fee to use these splash pads.
Wetherby Park Splash Pad, 2400 Taylor Drive
Fairmeadows Park Splash Pad, 2500 Miami Drive
Tower Court Park Spray Pad, 1124 Tower Court
Pool rentals are currently unavailable.
- Private Pool Rentals: View pool party packages
- Organized groups of ten or more people (including daycares, school groups, camps, etc.) are required to contact the Aquatics Program Supervisor prior to their visit to Iowa City pools to ensure space is available. If pools will reach maximum capacity with other group reservations, Aquatics staff may not be able to accommodate.
- Groups should contact the Aquatics Program Supervisor, Kate Connell, or 319-356-5100.
Follow Us on Social
Stay up to date by following us on our social media platforms. Don't forget to tag us in your aquatic posts.
Questions? Please contact Recreation Program Supervisor, Kate Connell or 319-887-6127.