Police Officer recruitment
Welcome! The City of Iowa City is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer. Apply online.
Be advised that all candidate correspondence will be directed to the primary email address listed in your application. Be sure that you check your in-box and spam filter frequently.
Next test cycle: 2023
The City of Iowa City values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all employees. It our policy to afford equal employment opportunities for all employees and potential City employees and our goal to achieve a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects the diversity within our community.
- View our candidate information packet to learn more about position requirements, benefits and testing information
- Entry level officers start at $55,244.80
- Certified officers start at up to $68,016.00
- $5,000 hiring bonus for ILEA certified officers
- What makes ICPD unique?
- Officers are permitted to have visible tattoos, facial hair and earrings
- Necessary equipment provided at no charge
- Officers are given a yearly boot allowance
- Iowa City is home to the University of Iowa. This Big Ten university creates a lively college town atmosphere with a small town feel!
- Various training and promotional opportunities
- Crisis intervention training
- K9 Officer
- Honor guard
- Crime scene technician
- Firearms instructor
- Investigations, and more
- Rotation of 4 days on, 2 days off
- Days - 7am to 3pm
- Evenings - 3pm to 11pm
- Nights - 11pm to 7am
- Investigations - hours vary
- ICPD has authority for 84 sworn officers
Application and testing information
- Apply online
- Learn more about the POST and how to request a study guide and/or practice test
- Learn more about the physical fitness test
Additional information about the process
410 E Washington St
Iowa City, IA 52240
The Iowa Smokefree Air Act prohibits smoking in all public buildings owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of the City of Iowa City, including the grounds of the public buildings such as the sidewalks and the sitting or standing areas immediately adjacent to the buildings. Also, smoking is prohibited in all vehicles owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of the City of Iowa City.