Do not flush medicine, pills, or any other hazardous material down the toilet or drain.

Iowa City residents can safely dispose of medications at the Hazardous Material Collection Facility at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center, or by attending a community collection event. 

Household Hazardous Material Program 

Sharps and Syringes

Residents can dispose of sharps and syringes for free at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center’s Hazardous Material Collection Facility during facility open hours (Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.).​​​​ They must be contained in a rigid plastic or metal container with a secure lid.

Non-Controlled Substances

This facility also accepts non-controlled substances (like Tylenol and antibiotics).

This service is available to residents of Johnson County and the cities of Kalona and Riverside.

Are you a businesses or non-profit? Call 319-887-6160 to discuss other options. 

Community Collection Events 

Pharmaceutical and sharps collection events are held a few times each year. Information on the next event will be posted here when available.

Medication Drop-off Container 

Safely dispose of expired or unused medications and pills for free at the Iowa City Police Station, 410 E. Washington St. The red, Med Return drop-off receptacle is located in the lobby and is accessible 24-7. (This location is currently unavailable for medication drop-off due to the COVID pandemic).

The container accepts: 

  • prescription and over-the-counter medications
  • unfilled prescriptions
  • sample medications
  • prescription ointments and patches
  • vitamins
  • pet medications

Do not dispose of sharps/syringes, hydrogen peroxide, inhalers, aerosol cans, medications from businesses or clinics, thermometers, or non-prescription ointments, lotions or liquids.  

Contact Us