To ensure your curbside materials are collected safely and successfully throughout the winter season, follow these tips:
- Place carts or containers on a solid surface for pickup, such as the end of your driveway or the edge of the right-of-way. Do not place carts on a snowbank or in the street.
- Have carts at the curb by 7 a.m. on your regular collection day for pickup.
- Do not overfill carts. City ordinance states the lids must be closed.
- Keep at least a 3-feet clear zone around each cart.
- Keep recycling materials loose—no plastic bags! Also, no glass or Styrofoam.
The City reminds residents that curbside collection of organics (yard and food waste) will continue throughout the winter season with no suspension in service.
For questions about curbside collection, contact Patricia Fossum at Patricia-Fossum@iowa-city.org or 319-356-5466. For questions about composting and recycling, contact Jane Wilch at Jane-Wilch@iowa-city.org or 319-887-6110.