The City's Public Works Open House on Saturday, May 21, 2022, will be a one-of-a-kind event featuring indoor roller skating, a quilt show, an outdoor movie screening, live music, food vendors, and an open house exploring the new, award-winning Public Works facility!
Running from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 3810 Napoleon Lane, the event is a collaboration with the Old Capitol Quilters Guild. The entire Public Works facility will be draped in beautiful, handmade quilts from local quilters. Even the City's massive snowplows will be included in quilt displays!
The Open House will also include numerous City-centric activities, including:
- Tours of the new 99,000 square-foot Public Works facility.
- A City Services Showcase: booths and activities showcasing City services.
- The Iowa City Public Library's Bookmobile will be at the event.
- A free screening of the "Field of Dreams" movie at nearby Napoleon Park at sunset, hosted by Summer of the Arts.
The event will provide the first opportunity for the general public to explore the new Public Works Building, which received an award from Architect Magazine.
The Open House is being held during National Public Works Week, which celebrates the incredible accomplishments that public works professionals do every day in cities across the country.
City staff will provide two opportunities for a guided tour of the Public Works building during the event. Those interested should gather at the information booth located at the North end of the building.
- 10:45 a.m.
- 2:15 p.m.
- 10-10:15 a.m.: Sparkles (The inclusive City High cheerleading squad)
- 10:15-10:45 a.m.: Pomtastiks (Senior Center members showoff choreographed dance moves to classic hits)
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Family Folk Machine (Local intergenerational choir play a wide range of songs and instruments)
- 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Duke Otherwise (Clever music for all ages, Duke Otherwise's music is folksy and fun for everyone)
- 1-1:30 p.m.: Dream Divas (Local dance and song troupe that's a staple of local parades and events)
- 1:45-2:15 p.m.: Chickadees (Iowa music duo with a fun, folksy pop sound)
- 2:30-3 p.m.: SloMoBop (Local jazz band that plays some of the genre's greatest tracks)
- 3:15-4 p.m.: Keith West (Iowa magician that has performed across the country.)
Click on each map to get a high-resolution version.