UPDATE: As of March 15, 2020, the City has temporarily closed some facilities, including the Senior Center. Click here for the full announcement.
To provide more protection for older adults in our community and reduce potential spread of COVID-19, we are suspending all Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center programming until further notice.
- Beginning Saturday, March 14, 2020, the Senior Center will be closed on weekends. This includes member hours and programming.
- The Senior Center building will remain open Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. until otherwise advised to close. Programs and extended member hours will be suspended, but we will keep member spaces available during business hours.
We will continue to provide updates as we get information and follow guidance from our federal, state, and local experts. We gather information daily and change course as needed.
Please feel free to give us a call if you have questions at 319-356-5220 or send an email to email@example.com.
For those who want to keep exercising, here are some additional options and suggestions:
- Get outside and take advantage of our many parks and trails while the weather is nice: https://www.icgov.org/trails
- Utilize free exercise videos online (we are working to add videos to our Iowa City Senior Center Facebook and YouTube pages)
How you can help while at The Center:
- Fitness Room usage: wipe down the equipment before and after use.
- Computer Lab Usage: wipe down the keyboard and mouse before and after use.
- When you visit The Center, leave some extra space between yourself and others.
- Make sure to wash your hands frequently, 20 seconds or more.
Nutrition services still available:
- Simple and Free: Pantry Exchange: We are gratefully accepting donations.
- Horizons Meal Program (weekday lunches): Please note that we have fewer chairs at the tables to assist with social distancing. Meals can also be taken to go. Please wash your hands before you eat and immediately afterward.
- We will not be using our puzzle table for now, but we have puzzles that members can take home.
- We will not be accepting donations of books or other physical items, except food for the pantry, until further notice.