The annual Halloween Trick or Treat Parade and Carnival, 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25, 2019 at Mercer Park and Aquatic Center, 2701 Bradford Dr., will be a STEAM Halloween event.
By embracing the spooky fun of the holiday and wrapping it like a mummy in science, technology, engineering, art, and math, the beloved, free annual event will be both entertaining and educational for kids.
Like past years, costumed kids will gather at 6 p.m., and the parade will start at 6:15. The carnival itself will start at 6:30 inside the Aquatic Center.
The carnival will include events as varied as a bag of Halloween candy:
- Halloween carnival games
- Computer programming fun: coding bracelets and experimenting from Arduinos
- A spooky haunted mansion
- Pumpkin spinning tops and pumpkin catapults with University of Iowa Physics students
- A cardboard maze and castle
- The chemistry of candy: lessons with researchers from the UI Department of Chemistry
- Green Iowa AmeriCorps activities that explain climate change
- Jenga with the UI and National Center of Science Education
- Halloween science by the UI Department of Physics and Astronomy, Hawk-Eyes on Science program
The National Advanced Driving Simulator, Iowa Science Booster Club, UI Science Education Program, Iowa City police and firefighters, Johnson County EMTs, and the Iowa City Public Library's Bookmobile will also be there to provide more fun.