Several major roads are still closed to drivers and pedestrians due to storm damage and trees caught in power lines.
As of the afternoon of Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2020, there are at least six major streets that are closed:
- Rochester Avenue closed between First and Seventh Avenues
- Court Street closed between Third and Fourth Avenues
- Muscatine Avenue closed between Second and Third Avenues
- Muscatine Avenue closed between Dearborn Street and Seventh Avenue
- Summit Street closed between Court Street and Bowery Street
- Dodge Street closed between Burlington Street and Bowery Street
Many of these areas have downed trees caught in power lines. The City is not able to clear them until MidAmerican Energy can get to them and ensure the area safe for cleanup crews.
These streets are inaccessible to vehicular travel and should be avoided by pedestrians as well, due to the danger posed by the power lines.
There are several intersection signals without power throughout town, and some converted to blinking lights. All of these intersections should be treated as four-way stops.
If it is necessary to travel, please be aware of these hazards and be courteous to others during stop-and-go traffic.