The Iowa City Senior Center continues to support wellness, community engagement, social connections, and lifelong learning for the diverse and growing older adult population with an expanding lineup of remote programming.
The Center’s building remains closed due to COVID-19, but older adults are invited to participate in virtual activities, classes and events, both online and via phone this fall.
Members of The Center will soon receive a printed September calendar in their mailboxes, and the digital program calendar can be viewed at icgov.org/senior.
Virtual offerings include:
- Several of The Center's most popular fitness classes, including Saturday Morning Yoga, Fit 4 Life, Slow Flow Yoga, BeMoved Dance, Moving with Parkinson's, and Bone Builders
- Continued favorites like a weekly Garden Club, Iowa City History Talks, Spanish Conversation Practice, Book Discussion Groups, Reading Aloud, and 50+ Singles Breakfast Club.
- More opportunities for creative outlets and social connection such as Watercolor Doodling, Zentangle, cooking classes, and Hobby Hour/Happy Hour gatherings including Shop Class, All Things Fermentation, and Collecting.
- An intergenerational event to celebrate Grandparents Day with a virtual ice cream social and online activities for all ages.
- Programs to help you stay informed in our changing world, such as COVID-19 updates and Q&A sessions from Johnson County Public Health, and our continuing series of readings and discussions about social justice and racial equity.
The Center will also continue to offer a number of free services to area seniors including SHIIP Medicare Counseling (Senior Health Insurance Information Program), advance care planning and tech help. For more information about The Center’s virtual programs, membership or services visit icgov.org/senior or call 319-356-5220.