The Iowa City Senior Center continues to enhance quality of life by creating opportunities to support wellness, social connections, community engagement and lifelong learning for our diverse and growing older adult population. The Senior Center recently published its September-October 2022 activity guide and invites community members to participate in the robust line-up of activities, classes, and events available both online and in-person this fall.
The current activity guide can be viewed online here, and printed copies can be picked up at the Senior Center, 28 S. Linn St., and the Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn St. Some of the offerings this season include:
- New fitness classes (Fitness Foundations, Low Impact Aerobics, Beginning & Intermediate Tai Chi) to supplement popular favorites.
- Performance groups resuming for the first time since the start of the pandemic (Voices of Experience chorus, Senior Standing Room Only reader’s theatre troupe).
- Several hybrid classes which offer the option to attend in-person or via Zoom.
- Events celebrating National Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Classes to support wellness, such as Mindfulness Mediation: Changing Your Relationship to Stress, and Values-Based Communication & Decision-Making Around Aging.
- Lifelong learning opportunities in the areas of history, literature, writing, foreign language, art, and music.
- Programming collaborations with community partners such as FilmScene, Pentacrest Museums, UI College of Public Health, 100 Grannies, and more.
Reconnect during the Welcome Back Breakfast
The Senior Center will also host a Welcome Back Breakfast on Monday, Oct. 3, 2022, at 9 a.m. Members are invited for breakfast at the Senior Center to get reacquainted with one another, meet new friends, and connect with staff. Those interested in participating are asked to call 319-356-5220 by Sept. 26 to reserve a spot.
As a division of the City of Iowa City, the Senior Center offers a full array of classes, activities, volunteer opportunities, services, and special events focused on helping those age 50+ to stay active, curious, and connected. Learn more at icgov.org/senior or call 319-356-5220.