Starting Sunday, Dec. 1, 2019, select City parks will be closed each day from 3 p.m. to dawn to allow for deer management.
In order to reduce the deer population, White Buffalo, Inc. has been hired to strategically and professionally carry out sharpshooting measures.
The 3 p.m. to dawn closings will run until Sunday, Dec. 22, 2019. The complete list of parks are:
- Waterworks Prairie Park, 2875 N. Dubuque St.
- Thornberry Off Leash Dog Park and Peninsula Disc Golf Course, West end of Foster Road
- City Park, 200 Park Road
- The Ned Ashton House, 820 Park Road
- Terrell Mill Park, 1209 N. Dubuque St.
- Hickory Hill Park, 800 Conklin St., 1439 Bloomington St, and the intersection of First Ave. and Stuart Court.
- Terry Trueblood Recreation Area (including Sand Lake trail), 579 McCollister Boulevard
- Oakland Cemetery, 1000 Brown St.
Thornberry Off-leash Dog Park Closure
Thornberry Off-leash Dog Park, located in Peninsula Park, will close daily from 3 p.m. to dawn through December 22. Rita’s Ranch Dog Park, located at 640 S. Scott Boulevard, will be open during the deer management process, and dog owners are encouraged to explore this location as an option during the Thornberry closures.
Questions regarding dog park access can be answered by contacting Parks & Recreation Director Juli Seydell Johnson at 319-356-5104 or email Juli-SJohnson@iowa-city.org. You may also visit www.icgov.org/dogpark.
Signs indicating the above park closures will be posted at various points in each park. Parks are normally closed to the public after dark.
To learn more about Iowa City’s Deer Population Management Program, visit www.icgov.org/deerproject.