In order to reduce the deer population, White Buffalo, Inc. has been hired to strategically and professionally carry out sharpshooting measures in Iowa City.
Below is a list of City parks where sharpshooting will occur, along with information on when those parks will be closed. All closures run from Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020, through Sunday, March 15, 2020.
- Waterworks Prairie Park (2875 N. Dubuque St.) - Closed every day from 3 p.m. to dawn
- The Ned Ashton House (820 Park Road) - Closed every day from 3 p.m. to dawn
- Terrell Mill Park (1209 N. Dubuque St.) - Closed every day from 3 p.m. to dawn
- Oakland Cemetery (1000 Brown St.) - Closed every day from 3 p.m. to dawn
- Crandic Park (99 Rocky Shore Dr.) - Closed every day from 3 p.m. to dawn
- Hickory Hill Park (800 Conklin St.,1439 Bloomington St., and the intersection of First Ave. and Stuart Court) – Closed every day from 3 p.m. to dawn
- Thornberry Off-leash Dog Park and Peninsula Disc Golf Course (West end of Foster Road) – Regular Park Hours (Closed every day from dusk to dawn)
Signs indicating the above park closures will be posted at various points in each park.
City Park (200 Park Road) and Terry Trueblood Recreation Area (including Sand Lake trail, 579 McCollister Boulevard) will not be used for sharpshooting and will maintain their regular operational hours.
To learn more about Iowa City’s Deer Population Management Program, visit www.icgov.org/deerproject.