During the holidays, we tend to produce more waste than normal with parties, festivities, presents, and big meals. Use the following tips to reduce waste this holiday season.
1. Recycle your burnt out holiday lights at the following locations (thru January 13, 2020).
- East Side Recycling Center at ReStore Donations (year-round)
- Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center (year-round)
- Iowa City Hy-Vee Stores (Waterfront, 1st Avenue, and Dodge Street)
- Coralville Hy-Vee #1 (1914 8th St.)
- Coralville Hy-Vee #2 (3285 Crosspark Rd.)
- Coralville Stuff Etc. (2818 Commerce Dr.)
- Coralville Recreation Center (1506 8th St.)
- Coralville City Hall (1512 7th St.)
2. Give gifts of meaning and experience.
Tickets to a show, a weekend trip, a massage, or a dinner out are examples of gifts that give time and experience over "stuff." These gifts are more meaningful, and reduce waste.
3. Choose sustainable gift wrap.
An old newspaper, expired map, piece of fabric, or even reusable cloth bag are great sustainable gift wrap ideas. If you prefer store-bought wrapping paper, remember that metallic- and glitter-coated wrapping paper are not recyclable.
4. Recycle only what is accepted.
The following are not recyclable at the curb:
- Glass (designated drop-off locations only)
- Holiday lights (designated drop-off locations only)
- Metallic or glitter wrapping paper/greeting cards (trash)
- Tissue paper (trash)
- Plastic bags, film, or wrap
- Styrofoam (trash)
- Toys/shoes/clothing (donate!)
View the Curbside Recycling Guide to see a full list of materials accepted at the curb.
Visit www.icgov.org/recycle to see what materials are accepted at drop-off locations including glass, wine corks, cooking oil, and more.
5. Compost your Christmas tree.
Place your natural Christmas trees at the curb for pickup at no additional cost to be composted. Be sure to remove all decorations including ornaments, lights, and garland. Do not put the tree in a plastic bag.
For more great tips on reducing waste, check out the City’s Reduce, Reuse, Repair, Upcycle webpage.
No service reminder: Trash, recycling and organics will not be collected at the curb on Christmas Day, December 25, or New Year’s Day, January 1. If either are your regular collection day, please have materials to the curb the following day by 7 a.m.
The City of Iowa City wishes you a “green,” merry, and safe holiday season!