City of Iowa City administrative offices and other facilities will be closed on Monday, June 20, 2022, in observance of Juneteenth.
There will be a series of free Juneteenth events held throughout the month of June organized by the Johnson County Juneteenth Commemoration group and the City of Iowa City. For a full list of Juneteenth Commemoration events, visit their Facebook page. Highlights from community Juneteenth celebrations include:
- High on the Hog: An educational screening and book discussion about how African-American food helped shape American culture. Screening: 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 14. Book discussion: 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 15. Learn more, and register, at our website.
- Juneteenth presentation by the African America Museum of Iowa: The Museum will give a historical presentation on the ramifications of slavery on the United State, and delve into the history of Juneteenth. Held at noon Wednesday, June 15, 2022. Register for the event on Eventbrite.
- Oracles Community Conversation, Blackness and Belonging in Iowa City: The Center for Afrofuturist Studies' Oracles team has been working for almost two years to bring public art to Iowa City that celebrates Black joy and welcomes Black residents. Part of this is a continuing dialog with the community about the feelings behind the art. Join Public Space One at Dream City (611 Southgate Ave, Iowa City) for the next installment in the community conversations series. 6 p.m. Thursday, June 16, 2022, at Dream City.
- Downtown at Sundown: This Juneteenth celebration has fun for the entire family: food, vendors, a DJ performing, bouncy houses, basketball, games, a fashion show, live entertainment, and more! This will take place at Chauncey Park and in front of City Hall, 410 E. Washington St. Starts at 5 p.m. Friday, June 17, 2022.
- Fashion show starts at 6:30 p.m.
- Live Music: New Shining Star, a tribute to Earth, Wind, and Fire, will perform on the Ped Mall's Weatherdance Fountain Stage beginning at 9:30 p.m., after the Summer of the Arts Friday Night Concert.
- Blood Drive: As part of the Juneteenth celebrations, a blood drive will be held. Sign-up online for time slots to donate blood from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, June 18, 2022, at Mercer Park.
- Juneteenth in our Neighborhood, Mercer Park, 2701 Bradford Drive, Iowa City. Financial, health, and wellness vendors will be onsite to provide information and answer questions. Local performers will showcase their talents, there will be children’s activities including a bounce-house, and free food while supplies last. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 18, 2022.
- Juneteenth in our Neighborhood, S.T. Morrison Park, 1513 7th Street, Coralville. Financial, health, and wellness vendors will be onsite to provide information and answer questions. Local performers will showcase their talents, there will be children’s activities including a bounce-house, and free food while supplies last. Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 18, 2022.
Juneteenth closures and schedule adjustments
Airport: Office closed. Jet Air (FBO) will operate regular hours. Details at jetairinc.com/fbo/.
Animal Care and Adoption Center: Closed.
Landfill and Recycling Center: Closed.
Library: Open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Library Bookmobile: Not running.
Oakland Cemetery: Office closed.
Parking: Regular enforcement.
Parks & Recreation:
- Administrative Offices closed.
- Mercer Park Aquatic Center: 6:15 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Robert A. Lee Recreation Center: 6:15 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- City Park Pool: Facility hours begin at 6:15 a.m. (6:15 a.m. – 9 a.m. – Lap Swim & Water Walking; 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. – Lap Swim & Water Walking; 1:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. – Open Swim
Police: Open for normal operations. Records and administrative offices closed.
Senior Center: Closed.
Recycling & Trash: Recycling, garbage, and yard waste will be collected.
Transit: City buses will operate normally.
Water: Closed. In case of a water emergency, call the 24-hour emergency line at 319-356-5166.
Wastewater: Closed. In case of a wastewater emergency, call the 24-hour emergency line at 319-356-5177.
Normal City operations will resume on Tuesday, June 21, 2022.