Stop by one of the six parties being hosted in Iowa City to celebrate National Night Out on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019.
This is part of a nationwide effort to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, build partnerships between neighborhoods and the Police Department, and send a message that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back against crime.
Several neighborhoods are hosting kid friendly block parties with food, games, music, and special appearances by Herky the Hawkeye and McGruff the Crime Dog.
Iowa City Police Officers will be attending all parties to meet neighbors, play games, hand out special gifts to children, and host a back-to-school backpack raffle. Police officers will bring backpacks to show off, but the raffle will be held at the end of the night and winners will be contacted by phone.
Neighborhood parties are scheduled at the following locations:
- Intersection of Sandusky Drive and Cherry Avenue. 5:30-7:30 p.m. McGruff in attendance.
- Christ the King Lutheran Church, 325 Mormon Trek Boulevard. 6-8 p.m. Herky in attendance.
- Wetherby Park, 2400 Taylor Drive. 5:30-8:30 p.m. McGruff in attendance.
- Tower Court Park, 199 Marietta Avenue. 5-7 p.m. Herky in attendance.
- 896 Sugar Loaf Circle, 6-7:30 p.m. Herky in attendance.
- Paddock Circle, 7-8 p.m. McGruff in attendance.
This is the 36th annual National Night Out, which is sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW), and co-sponsored locally by the Iowa City Police Department with support from Wal-Mart. Nationwide, more than 15,000 communities from all 50 states and over 38 million people are expected to participate in this year's events.
For more information, contact Officer Ashten Hayes at email@example.com, or call 319-356-5273.