Iowa City Police are asking the public to beware of suspicious activity in their neighborhoods after receiving multiple calls reporting that suspects are posing as City utility workers in order to gain access to residences.
In one incident, suspects were described as two males driving a white car and wearing reflective jackets. Another victim reported that a man knocked on the door of the residence and asked about the water main service. He was able to convince the victim to exit the residence with him to discuss the issue. As they spoke, the victim’s house was entered and items were removed. One suspect was described as around 5’6” to 5’8” tall, possibly Hispanic or a white male with a dark complexion. The suspects left in a white sedan with unknown out-of-state license plates.
How to identify City Water Division employees
- All employees are provided high-visibility vests with the City’s logo and “City of Iowa City Water Division” printed on the front and back, or have uniforms with a name tag.
- Customer Service staff schedule all appointments with residents if a home entry is required.
- Water Distribution staff knock on doors if they need to give last-minute notification, but do not enter homes unless necessary for claim investigation due to a construction project or other water activity causing damage to their home.
- City vehicles are marked with a City of Iowa City decal.
- Ask to see a City ID badge.
- Call the Water Division Office to verify an appointment at 319-356-5160.
If anyone has information about these incidents, please call Police at 319-356-5275.