At approximately 11:41 p.m., June 3, 2022, Iowa City Police Officers were on foot patrol in 100 Block of South Clinton Street. A woman, later identified as 22-year-old Daria D. Brown, of Iowa City, was observed hitting the windows of a bar after being denied entry due to her level of intoxication. Brown was placed under arrest for public intoxication.
Brown resisted arrest and assaulted three Iowa City Police Officers during the incident. While being placed in a patrol vehicle, Brown grabbed an officer's Taser and attempted to disarm the officer. After being placed under arrest, Brown was taken to the Johnson County Jail, where she continued to resist during the booking process and bit a Johnson County Sheriff's Office deputy.
Brown faces the following charges:
- Public Intoxication
- Interference with Official Acts
- Assault on Persons in Certain Occupations (Count 1)
- Assault on Persons in Certain Occupations (Count 2)
- Assault on Persons in Certain Occupations (Count 3)
- Disarming a Peace Officer
- Interference with Official Acts Causing Bodily Injury
A criminal charge is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
The Iowa City Police Department is aware of a video of the incident circulating on social media. The incident is under review. No further information is available at this time.