Shortly after midnight on Sunday, July 31, 2022, Iowa City Police were called to El Ray's Live and Dive, 211 E. Iowa Ave., for an armed subject who threatened bar staff with a gun after being kicked out of the establishment.
Officers located the subject - later identified as 18-year-old Alex Bwayonga - and took him into custody. A stolen firearm was located on the subject. During the course of his arrest, Bwayonga appeared to exhibit signs of a medical emergency. Bwayonga was given care at the scene and evaluated at an area hospital before his arrest.
Bwayonga faces the following charges:
- Assault While Displaying A Dangerous Weapon
- Intimidation With A Dangerous Weapon
- Interference With Official Acts
- Trafficking in a Stolen Weapon Used in a Crime
- Use of a Dangerous Weapon in the Commission of a Crime
A criminal charge is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.