View the most updated schedule at www.icgov.org/leafvacuum.
The City of Iowa City will again offer leaf vacuuming in your neighborhood, and will begin collecting on Monday, Oct. 15, 2018. For efficient pick up, follow the tips below:
Leaf vacuuming begins Oct. 15 in zones 6 and 7, and will proceed in numerical order, moving to Zone 1 after 7 is complete. View the zone map online, or in your September utility insert.
The process will repeat until the program ends Wednesday, Nov. 21.
To see schedules indicating where crews will work over a five-day period, visit www.icgov.org/leafvacuum, follow the City of Iowa City on Facebook, Twitter and Nextdoor, or subscribe for email updates at www.icgov.org/e-subscriptions. The schedule will be posted daily.
If you do not have access to the internet, call 319-356-5181.
Rake leaves into a pile on the City right-of-way in front of your house, between the sidewalk and curb.
- No sticks, brush, garden refuse or other waste – only leaves
- Piles should be no further than 5 ft. back from the curb, as the vacuum hose will not reach.
- Combine your leaves into sizeable piles. It slows crews to have to work with many small piles.
- The minimum size for one pile should be the equivalent of one paper yard waste bag.
- Do not rake leaves into the street, they may be washed into the storm sewer and can cause flooding.
- Do not pile leaves around mailboxes and signposts, instead place the pile in an open area.
- Cars parked on the street slow down leaf pick up. In areas where on-street parking is heavy, ‘No Parking’ signs will be posted while leaf crews are in the area.
- If you live on a street with heavy parking and you wish to have signs placed, call the Streets Division at 319-356-5181 for consideration.
- On streets where calendar parking is enforced, leaf vacuuming will occur on the side without parking.
- Be considerate when parking on the street and avoid parking near leaf piles on pick up days.
Despite advanced preparation; equipment breakdowns and weather can slow or end the program early.
- Do not wait to rake. An early winter requires equipment to be moved to snow removal.
- Paper yard waste bags can be used for more rapid pick up and will be collected on your regular curbside service day through January.
- Residents can haul their leaves – for free – to the Landfill at 3900 Hebl Ave.
For more information about the program, visit www.icgov.org/leafvacuum, or call 319-356-5181.
Printed maps are also available for pick up at City Hall, 410 E. Washington St., The Public Library, 123 S. Linn St., The Senior Center, 28 S. Linn St., or the Streets Division, 3800 Napoleon Lane.