The Iowa City Fire Department is taking part in Fire Prevention Week, running Monday, Oct. 8 through Friday, Oct. 14, 2017.
This year’s theme is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” Iowa City Firefighters are presenting to local elementary schools with a program featuring music, dancing and fun.
This year’s theme and program emphasize the following:
- Draw a map of your home by using the National Fire Protection Association’s grid in English or Spanish with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat
This information, a video, and other kids activities can be found at www.nfpa.org/fpw.
To learn more about the work the Iowa City Fire Department does during Fire Prevention Week, contact Lt. Axel Swanson at 319-356-5266 or email@example.com.