At 2:31 p.m., Thursday, June 2, 2022, the Iowa City Fire Department responded to the Hilton Garden Inn, 328 S. Clinton St., for a chemical spill in the lower level pool area.
Responding firefighters noted a chlorine odor upon entering the building and requested assistance from the Johnson County Hazardous Materials Response Team. Hazardous materials crews arrived at approximately 3 p.m. Crews were able to locate the chemical container and safely remove it from the building. The building was ventilated throughout the incident and turned back over to Hilton Garden Inn management at 5 p.m. when chlorine was no longer detected throughout the building.
The hotel was evacuated during the incident and five people were transported to an area hospital for evaluation. No further information is available.
The Iowa City Fire Department was assisted by the Johnson County Hazardous Materials Response Team, Johnson County Ambulance Service, Johnson County Emergency Management Agency, Johnson County Joint Emergency Communication Center, Iowa City Police Department, and Iowa City Waste Water.