Starting Thursday, Jan. 2, 2020, the operational hours at the Landfill and Recycling Center's household hazardous materials facility will be expanded. Also, residents will no longer need to make appointments to drop-off materials.
The facility, located at 3900 Hebl Ave. SW, will now accept materials on a walk-in basis at anytime between 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
Small businesses will still need appointments. Please call 319-887-6160 for more information.
For more information, visit icgov.org/hhm.
Below are some examples of materials accepted at the household hazardous materials facility:
- Kitchen: floor care products, furniture and metal polish, oven cleaner, stain remover, drain cleaner.
- Bathroom: toilet bowl cleaner, mildew remover, abrasive cleaner, disinfectant, hair remover.
- Garage: antifreeze, brake and transmission fluid, engine degreaser, battery acid, lighter fluid, kerosene, gasoline, oil, auto batteries.
- Workshop: oil-based paint, adhesives, glue, resin, solvents, strippers, varnishes, stains, paint thinner, rechargeable batteries, (20 gallon paint limit, including one 5-gallon pail, one per visit)
- Lawn/garden: weed killer, pesticides, bug spray, fertilizer.
- Light Bulbs: fluorescent light tubes, compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), LEDs.
- Other: photo developers, pool chemicals, shoe polish, art supply chemicals, moth balls, nail polish and remover, sharps and syringes.
- Batteries: Including sealed lead, auto, Ni-Cd, lithium, rechargeable, watch batteries, hearing aid batteries, cellular phone batteries, and alkaline. Battery terminals must be taped with clear packing tape or placed in a sealed, clear plastic bag (one battery per bag).