Like to reupholster chairs and repaint household items? Do you find creative ways to repurpose everyday items?
Then the Rummage ReDux Challenge is just the event for you. Transform items found at the City's Rummage in the Ramp from simply serviceable to boisterously beautiful, while competing against other participants.
The contest is simple: take an item you find at Rummage in the Ramp -which runs from Thursday, July 25, 2019 to Saturday, August 3 in the second floor of the Chauncey Swan Parking Ramp- repurpose, refresh, or reimagine the item and enter it into the contest.
Contestants can submit items into three categories:
- Furniture Restoration: Refinish, repaint, reupholster
- Artistic Reinvention: Remake ordinary objects into works of art
- Creative Re-Adaption: Recreate items from an intended use to a creative reuse
Two awards will be given in each category: $100 for first place and $50 for second place.
- Purchase an item(s) from Rummage in the Ramp anytime during the event starting Thursday, July 25
- Sign up at the sales area so staff can keep you informed about Rummage Redux schedules
- Snap photos of your item before and during the transformation process
- Track the total cost and time spent on your project
- Showcase your project at the Rummage ReDux Challenge event on Friday, Aug. 2 at 6:00 p.m. during the sale. Please arrive by 5:45 PM to complete final entry forms. Submission after 5:45 p.m. will not be considered.
- Create and display a storyboard that includes before and during photos, your cost and time invested, as well as your contact information.
- The judges will visit with you and make their award decisions by 7 p.m. that evening
- Five hobbyists/professionals/recyclers will evaluate each project based on the following:
- Imaginative reuse and overall improvement
- Quality of the work
- Functionality of completed project
- Presentation and thoroughness of storyboard
Anyone can participate, but prizes cannot be awarded to contestants who live outside of Johnson County or are City of Iowa City employees.
For more information, contact Marcia Bollinger at email@example.com or 319-356-5237.