The Iowa City Parks and Recreation Department's free Playground Program starts Monday, June 21, 2021. The program provides a variety of activities for children completing grades K-6. The program runs Monday - Friday, from June 21 through Aug. 13, 2021.
Parents and Guardians may register children online and on-site for this opportunity to interact with other youth in the community while participating in fun activities, led by trained staff. This summer's activities include special visitors, STEAM “Maker Space” projects, games, arts and crafts, and environmental education activities.
Children who have not completed kindergarten are welcome to participate when accompanied by an adult. All children are welcome to come and go during these free drop-in programs, but parents and guardians must complete emergency information forms on-site on the first day of attendance. Registration is ongoing throughout the summer at each site.
Morning locations are available from 10 a.m. to noon at the following parks:
- Cardigan Park, 500 Huntington Dr.
- Court Hill Park, 2825 Friendship St.
- Fairmeadows Park, 2451 Miami Dr.
- North Market Square Park, 600 Fairchild St.
- Willow Creek Park, 1117 Teg Dr.
Afternoon locations are available from 1 to 3 p.m. at the following parks:
- Highland Park, 750 Highland Ave.
- James Alan McPherson Park, 1858 7th Avenue Ct.
- Kiwanis Park, 1519 Teg Dr.
- Mercer Park, 1317 Dover St.
- Wetherby Park, 2400 Taylor Dr.
For more information, contact Joyce Carroll, Recreation Supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-356-5100.