Fire Prevention Week is Oct. 9-15, 2022. This year's theme is “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape TM” and the Iowa City Fire Department is returning to Iowa City schools to teach students about fire safety for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Iowa City Fire Department recognizes Fire Prevention Week by traveling to each elementary school in Iowa City during the week and presenting an educational, interactive, and fun program to all Kindergarten through 3rd Grade students. A recorded version of the program will be available to the general public on the City Channel 4 YouTube channel in the coming weeks.
In recognition of Fire Prevention Week, the Iowa City Fire Department encourages all members of the community to embrace the “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape TM” theme by reviewing these home fire escape planning tips:
- Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
- Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.