Iowa City Fire Chief John Grier will retire Friday, Feb. 11, 2022, after 29 years with the department.
Chief Grier was hired as a firefighter on Aug. 10, 1992 and has served as Fire Chief since August 2013. During Grier's tenure as Fire Chief, the department has achieved reaccreditation, opened a new training facility, and the City obtained land for two new fire stations.
"It has been an honor and privilege to work beside such a great group of people for so many years," said Grier. "I am so very proud of all we have accomplished together and know even greater accomplishments lie ahead for the department. Though my career may officially be coming to an end, ICFD and Iowa City will forever remain a huge part of my life story."
A national search for Chief Grier's position was launched in fall 2021. Following the recruitment process, City Manager Geoff Fruin announced three finalists for Fire Chief. Those finalists are: Scott Lyon of Adel, Joseph Murray of Beloit, Wis., and Scott Sarver of Parker, Colo.
The finalists have been invited to Iowa City for the next stage of the recruitment process.
Scott Lyon: Assistant Fire Chief, Urbandale Fire Department
- Served with the Urbandale Fire Department since 2014; previously served as Deputy Fire Chief for City of Clive.
- Graduated from Waldorf College with a Bachelor of Science degree in Fire Service Administration in 2014.
- Graduated from Waldorf College with a Master of Liberal Arts degree in Organizational Leadership in 2017.
Joseph Murray: Deputy Fire Chief, City of Beloit Fire Department
- Served with the City of Beloit Fire Department since 1994.
- Graduated from Wisconsin State College with an Associate of Science degree in Fire Science in 1997.
- Graduated from American Military University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Homeland Security in 2011.
Scott Sarver: District Chief, South Metro Fire Rescue (Centennial, Colo.)
- Served with South Metro Fire Rescue since 1998.
- Graduated from the University of Iowa with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology in 1993.
- Graduated from Columbia Southern University with a Masters of Public Administration degree in Public Administration in 2019.
Community members are invited to meet the finalists at a public reception at the Terry Trueblood Recreation Area's Park Lodge, 579 McCollister Blvd. on Thursday, Feb. 17, 2022, from 5:30 - 7 p.m.
City Manager Geoff Fruin will announce the selected candidate for Fire Chief at a later date. The hiring of the next Fire Chief is subject to the approval of the City Council and Civil Service Commission.
More information about the Fire Chief search can be found here.