The Iowa City Senior Center continues to support wellness, community engagement, social connections, and lifelong learning for the diverse and growing older adult population with an expanding lineup of remote programming. The Center’s building remains closed due to COVID-19, but older adults are invited to participate in virtual activities, classes and events, both online and via phone this fall.
Members of The Center will soon receive a printed October calendar in their mailboxes, and the digital program calendar can be viewed at icgov.org/senior.
Virtual offerings include:
- Several of The Center's most popular fitness classes, including Yoga with Esther, Fit 4 Life, Slow Flow Yoga, BeMoved Dance, Moving with Parkinson's, and Bone Builders.
- Continued favorites like a weekly Garden Club, Iowa City History Talks, Spanish Conversation Practice, Book Discussion Groups, Reading Aloud, and 50+ Singles Breakfast Club and Dementia Caregiver Support Group.
- Opportunities for creative outlets and social connections, such as watercolor, zentangle, and cooking classes.
- Bipartisan programs to help prepare you for next month’s elections, such as a Voter Education Virtual Event, Tips for Voting Safely in Johnson County, and discussion of The Electoral College and Other Issues Related to Informed Voting.
- Programs to help you stay informed in our changing world, such as COVID-19 updates and Q&A sessions from Johnson County Public Health, and the continuing series of readings and discussions about social justice and racial equity.
The Center will be hosting a Flu Shot Clinic with the Visiting Nurse Association on September 28 and October 16 (appointments required, call The Center for details). The Center will also continue to offer a number of free services to area seniors including expanded SHIIP Medicare Counseling (Senior Health Insurance Information Program) during the open enrollment period, advance care planning and tech help. Many programs and services are free and open to the public, others require an affordable membership. For more information about The Center’s virtual programs, membership or services, visit icgov.org/senior or call 319-356-5220.