The Iowa City (I.C.) Better Bridges Institute is offering a free one-and-a-half day education event for business owners and managers to learn about diversity and enhance strategies to create more inclusive environments. The program will be held Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2017 from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in meeting rooms B & C of the Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn Street.
Participants will spend the first day in an award-winning leadership training module from the National Coalition Building Institute (NCBI) called Leadership for Equity & Inclusion. NCBI focuses on building cultural competence, collaboration and partnerships, and effective relationships within and across group identities.
The second day will be discussion-based review of case studies related to business structure, supervision, and customers, to address:
- Real experiences of Iowa City residents
- Bias and personal impact of specific incidents of discrimination
- Inclusive customer service and satisfaction best practices
Participants will receive:
- Diversity and Inclusion Toolkit, a booklet containing resources and tips to create a more inclusive and profitable workplace
- Diversity and Inclusion Certificate, endorsed by the University of Iowa Tippie College of Business and the Chief Diversity Office
Complete the application found at tinyurl.com/ICBetterBridges. The deadline to apply is Jan. 3, 2017.
The program is a partnership between the University of Iowa, The Downtown Business District, the City of Iowa City Human Rights Commission and NCBI International. To learn more, contact Nancy Bird at firstname.lastname@example.org.