It’s time once again for local writers to submit poems for consideration in the 17th annual Poetry in Public Program, sponsored by the Iowa City Public Art Program.
Writers of all ages and all levels of writing ability and experience are encouraged to submit entries to the contest. The program was initiated in 2002 to celebrate, promote, and nurture the rich writing culture that exists in Iowa City.
A panel of local judges will review entries and then select poems that will be displayed throughout the Iowa City community and on local and literary websites. The winning poems will be on display on Iowa City buses, at the Iowa City Public Library and the Robert A. Lee Recreation Center from May through the fall. Selected poets will also have the opportunity to read their poem during the Iowa Arts Festival in June. Rules for the competition are as follows:
- Entrants must be residents of Johnson County.
- Only one poem per author will be considered. Submitted poems will not be returned.
- The poem can be no more than seven lines in length (not including title), and can be either an existing or new work.
- An excerpt from a longer poem will be considered if it can stand alone.
- Poems are generally published as is. Teachers and/or parents are encouraged to work with students on proper spelling and punctuation before submission.
- Poems will be judged on quality of writing, as well as accessibility and suitability for public display before a general audience.
- Avoid special complex formatting, layouts, “word art,” and use of non-standard typefaces.
- If reprint permissions are required, please get permission prior to submitting your work.
Poetry in Public entries must be submitted by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019.
For questions or to request a form, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 319-356-5237.