Applications are now being accepted for the 2020 Citizens Police Academy.
This workshop is sponsored by five area agencies, and works to promote understanding of what law enforcement does, builds better community relationships, and provides an overview for people who may be interested in police work as a career.
The Citizens Police Academy will meet once a week for 10 weeks, beginning Monday, Jan. 27, 2020. A different topic will be covered each week. Classes will be held on Mondays from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Johnson County Joint Emergency Communication Center, 4529 Melrose Avenue, Iowa City.
Training will include department tours and ride-alongs, defensive tactics, evidence collection, drug investigation, and many other areas of law enforcement and operations.
Class size is limited. Register early to reserve your spot. Applicants must be at least 16-years-old by the start of the session. A $25 fee is required to cover the costs of materials and supplies.
Applications are due to any of the agencies listed below at 5 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 20, 2020. Forms are available at www.icgov.org/citizenspoliceacademy or in-person at:
- Iowa City Police Department, 410 E. Washington St., Iowa City
- Coralville Police Department 1503 5th St., Coralville
- Johnson County Sheriff's Office, 511 S. Capitol St., Iowa City
- North Liberty Police Department, 5 E. Cherry St., North Liberty
- University of Iowa Department of Public Safety, 200 S. Capitol St., Iowa City
For more information, visit www.icgov.org/citizenspoliceacademy.