Iowa City Transit will make several temporary changes the Downtown Shuttle routes effective Monday, Aug. 17, 2020, to increase capacity on the high-demand south Downtown Shuttle route and promote social distancing as the University of Iowa fall session begins.
- The north Downtown Shuttle route will be temporarily discontinued, and the service capacity will be reallocated to the South Downtown Shuttle route which has significantly more ridership
- The South Downtown Shuttle will increase from three to four 15-minute South Downtown Shuttle trips per hour
- South Shuttle will depart from the interchange at :00, :15, :30 and :45 after the hour starting at 7:30 a.m
- This change will add 25 percent more passenger capacity to the South Shuttle route and will allow for increased social distancing
- Iowa City Transit will continue to add extra buses to the 8 and 9 a.m Downtown Shuttle trips to improve capacity and increase social distancing
Iowa City Transit is continuing with procedures and policies to ensure the health and safety of our employees and riders including:
- Deep cleaning and sanitization of buses and transit facilities
- Plastic barriers near the driver area to promote social distancing
- Requiring drivers and passengers to wear face coverings
Iowa City Transit will continue to monitor bus ridership and capacity across the system and consider adjustments as necessary to better accommodate social distancing. These collective actions will help meet public health objectives to keep employees and the public safe while providing essential transportation services to the community.
To access the Downtown Shuttle route information effective Aug. 17, 2020, please visit www.icgov.org/busschedules. The Transit App and Bongo (www.bongo.org) will reflect the updated Downtown Shuttle routes and schedules on Aug 17. Google Maps/Google Transit may take additional time to reflect the updated schedule. Route and schedule information is also available by calling Iowa City Transit at 319-356-5151.