The Streets Division is preparing for this year's curbside leaf vacuum service. The first day of the program is Monday, Oct. 14, 2019.
Printed maps are available in City utility bills and also at City Hall, the Public Library, the Senior Center, and the Streets Division office at 3800 Napoleon Lane. Maps are also available online at www.icgov.org/leafvacuum.
Follow these tips for a smooth and efficient process.
- The Leaf Vacuum Program will begin Monday, Oct. 14, 2019 in Zones 7 & 1, and will proceed in numerical order, moving to Zone 2 after Zone 1 is completed. The process will repeat until the program ends on Wednesday, Nov. 27.
- To see schedules indicating where crews will work over a five-day period, visit www.icgov.org/leafvacuum. You can also subscribe for email updates at www.icgov.org/subscribe and select Leaf Vacuum Program for regular updates.
- Information will also be shared regularly on NextDoor, with weekly updates on Facebook and Twitter.
- If you do not have direct access to the internet, call 319-356-5181.
- Remember, weather can interrupt the schedule at any given time, so stay informed and don't wait to rake.
Preparing your leaf piles
- Rake leaves into a pile on the City right-of-way in front of your house between the sidewalk and the street curb. Leaf piles should be no further than five feet back from the curb, as the vacuum hose will not reach any farther.
- Piles should have only leaves. No sticks, brush, garden refuse, or other waste.
- The minimum size for one pile should be the equivalent of a one yard-waste bag.
- Do not rake leaves into the street, as they may be washed into the storm sewer, and can cause neighborhood flooding.
- Do not pile leaves around mailboxes and signposts, instead place the pile in an open area.
- Cars parked on the street slow down leaf pick-up. In areas where on-street parking is heavy, “No Parking” signs will be posted while leaf crews are in the area. If you live on a street where there is heavy parking and you wish to have “No Parking” signs placed, contact the Streets Division at 319-356-5181 for consideration.
- Where calendar parking is enforced, leaf pick-up will occur on the side of the street without parking.
- Be considerate when parking on the street and avoid parking near leaf piles on pick-up days.
Some final reminders
- Leaf crews will not go back for missed piles of leaves.
- Despite all advance preparation, equipment breakdowns, heavy rain, and snow can slow or end the program early.
- Do not wait to rake. An early winter requires equipment and crews be moved to snow removal.
- Paper yard waste bags or City issued organics carts can be used in addition to the Leaf Vacuum Program, and will be collected on your regular curbside service day through January.
- Residents can haul their leaves, free of charge, to the Landfill at 3900 Hebl Ave.
Questions may be directed to the Streets Division at 319-356-5181. Leaf Vacuum Map and Instructions: www.icgov.org/leafvacuum.