The City is offering paper yard waste bags at multiple locations around the community at no cost to assist with post-storm cleanup.
Bags are in bundles of five; please limit to one bundle per household to ensure more community members have access to bags. Bags will be available on Friday morning, while supplies last, at the following locations:
- Creekside Park shelter, 1858 7th Avenue Court
- Longfellow trail info kiosk, 1400 block of Sheridan Ave.
- Court Hill Park north shelter, 2825 Friendship St.
- Mercer Park shelter, 2701 Bradford Drive
- Broadway Street Neighborhood Center, by the shed, 2105 Broadway St.
- Highland Park, 750 Highland Ave.
- Kiwanis Park shelter, 1519 Teg Drive
- Benton Hill Park gazebo, intersection of West Benton Street and Miller Avenue
- Hunters Run Park shelter, 924 Duck Creek Drive
- North Market Park gazebo, 600 Fairchild St.
Iowa City residents who have City of Iowa City curbside garbage pick-up service may place smaller limbs, sticks and loose leaf debris in yard waste containers (City issued carts or residents’ own containers sized between 20 and 35 gallons and weighing less than 50 pounds). These items will be picked up on normal garbage days and staff will run extra routes as staffing and equipment allow.
A reminder for residents on what to do with post-storm materials: Downed tree limbs
- Large limbs greater than four inches in diameter and longer than four feet, including tree trunks up to six feet in length, will be picked up with an endloader or skid steer. Please note collection may not happen on your regular garbage collection day.
- Wood waste and brush that is four inches in diameter or less should be securely tied in bundles that are no bigger around than 18 inches and no more than 48 inches in length. Please note these will be picked up manually by staff so must meet the requirements to be picked up.
- Residents of Iowa City, Johnson County, and other communities served by the Iowa City Landfill may also take limbs and wood debris directly to the Iowa City Landfill at 3900 Hebl Avenue SW, west of the City limits on Melrose Avenue / IWV Road. There are no size limitations or bundling requirements on limbs or branches that are dropped off at the Landfill, and no disposal fees are charged if the materials are being hauled by the resident themselves. Commercial trucks and commercial loads will be charged the regular $24 yard waste fee. Landfill hours are Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please plan on long lines and wait times.
A video on how to properly dispose of materials can also be found online.
For more information, contact the Resource Management at 319-356-5151 or visit icgov.org/StormRecovery.