Complimentary fair housing training will be held in April to celebrate National Fair Housing Month. They are open to the public, but pre-registration is required.
The City of Iowa City's Office of Equity and Human Rights welcomes Shanna L. Smith, President/CEO for the National Fair Housing Alliance for both public events on April 19 and 20, 2017.
Applying Fair Housing in Your Daily Life – Wednesday, April 19
This event will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. in Meeting Room A of the Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn Street, and will focus on recognizing and reporting housing discrimination in rental, sales or insurance. Some topics include:
- Stopping Racial, Religious and Sexual Harassment in Housing
- Many Ways to Promote Neighborhood Diversity
Promoting Fair Housing in your Business and Complying with the Law – Thursday, April 20
This event will be held from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. in the Conference Board Room at the Johnson County Extension Office, 3109 Old Hwy 218 S.
Training will cover the latest housing discrimination issues being raised in the rental and sales markets. Several Quick Quizzes are part of the training to help you evaluate your understanding of the Fair Housing Act. There will be plenty of time for questions and answers. Some topics include:
- Is advertising via social media increasing access to housing?
- What is linguistic and email profiling and can I avoid it?
- Is my apartment building accessible?
- Can I suggest to an Asian American buyer to work with the Asian American agent?
- Does the parking lot have legal size handicapped spaces?
- How does a real estate professional address racial, religious or sexual harassment in rental complexes or neighborhoods?
- Can I promote neighborhood diversity without violating the law?
To register, visit eventbrite.com. Certificates for attendees will be presented upon request. Registration closes Monday, April 17.
Questions can be directed to Equity Director Stefanie Bowers at 319-356-5022 or email Stefaniefirstname.lastname@example.org.