UPDATE: With the declarations of a State of Public Health Disaster Emergency, City Hall will be closed to the public starting Wednesday, March 16, 2020. Read full details by clicking this link.
The front lobby of City Hall will remain open to allow access to the Iowa City Police Department, which will continue to operate normally.
With the announcement that the 2019 coronavirus disease, also known as COVID-19, is now community spread in Iowa the City of Iowa City is making changes to slow the spread. The Iowa Department of Public Health has released new mitigation guidelines, and in accordance with these recommendations the City will closing some facilities and postponing programs.
The following changes are effective immediately and will remain in place until at least April 5, 2020. The City will continue to evaluate recommendations from county, state, and federal health experts.
Iowa City Public Library
- Along with the closure of the Library, the ICPL Bookmobile has also been suspended.
- All programs, events, and classes are postponed.
- Due dates will be extended and fines will be suspended on Library materials.
- Online resources are still available.
- Follow the ICPL website and social media outlets for activity suggestions during the closure.
Iowa City Parks and Recreation Department
- Closures includes Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, Mercer Park Aquatic Center/Scanlon Gym, Terry Trueblood Lodge, and Ned Ashton House.
- Spring Break Camp will be canceled. All participants will be refunded.
- All recreation programing canceled through at least April 5, 2020, including swim lessons.
- Outdoor park restrooms will remain closed.
- Follow the Parks and Rec website and social media outlets for activity suggestions during the closure.
Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center
- The closure will impact all members of the community, including members of the Center.
- Alternative options will be provided for those that use the meal service.
- Follow the Center website and social media outlets for activity suggestions during the closure.
Iowa City Animal Care and Adoption Center
- The Iowa City animal shelter will be closed to the public, including volunteers.
- Please call ahead of time if you plan to bring an animal in, so that we can prepare ahead of time. The number is 319-356-5295.
- Animal adoptions can still be completed through the online guide.
The City remains focused on the continuity of critical operations: the police and fire departments, providing clean water, sewer services, trash and recycling collection, and transit. Pay your City utilities, parking citations and other Iowa City bills on the web using our easy online payment options.
This situation is rapidly evolving and more changes are expected. All changes in operating schedules, cancellations, or other alterations to City operations and facilities will be communicated as circumstances arise. Community members seeking information and status updates related to City facilities, operations, and events may choose to subscribe at www.icgov.org/subscribe.
You can find resources on COVID-19 on our website, icgov.org/coronavirus. Please take the time to remain educated with the latest information and take preventative steps to slow the spread.