The Iowa City Streets Division is preparing to begin this year's curbside leaf vacuum service. The first day of the program is Monday, Oct. 19, 2020.
Printed maps are available in City utility bills and at the Streets Division office at 3800 Napoleon Lane. Maps are also available online at www.icgov.org/leafvacuum. Here are a few tips to help make the process go smoothly and efficiently for everyone:
- The Leaf Vacuum Program will begin Monday, Oct. 19, 2020 in Zones #1 & #2, and will proceed in numerical order, moving to Zone #3 after Zone #2 is completed. The process will repeat until the program ends on Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020.
- To see schedules indicating where crews will work over a five-day period, visit icgov.org/leafvacuum, follow the City of Iowa City on Facebook, Twitter, & Nextdoor, or subscribe for e-mail updates at www.icgov.org/e-subscriptions. If you do not have direct access to the internet, call 319-356-5181.
Preparing your leaf piles
- Rake leaves into a pile on the City right-of-way in front of your house. This is the area between the sidewalk and the street curb.
- Your leaf pile should be no further than five feet back from the curb, as the vacuum hose will not reach any farther.
- No sticks, brush, garden refuse or other waste. Please, only leaves.
- The minimum size for one pile should be the equivalent of one yard waste bag.
- Do not rake leaves into the street, as they may be washed into the storm sewer, and can cause street flooding.
- Do not pile leaves around mailboxes and signposts, instead place the pile in an open area.
- Cars parked on the street slow down leaf pick-up. In areas where on-street parking is heavy, “No Parking” signs will be posted while leaf crews are in the area.
- If you live on a street where there is heavy parking and you wish to have “No Parking” signs placed, contact the Streets Division at 319-356-5181 for review and consideration.
- On streets where calendar parking is enforced, leaf vacuuming will occur on the side of the street without parking.
- Be considerate when parking on the street and avoid parking near leaf piles on pick-up days.
Some final reminders
- Leaf crews will not go back for missed piles of leaves.
- Despite all advance preparation, equipment breakdowns, heavy rain, and snow can slow or end the program early.
- Do not wait to rake. An early winter requires equipment and crews be moved to snow removal efforts.
- Paper yard waste bags or City issued organics carts can be used in addition to the Leaf Vacuum Program and will be collected on your regular curbside service day through January.
- Residents can haul their leaves, free of charge, to the Landfill at 3900 Hebl Ave.
Questions may be directed to the Streets Division office at 319-356-5181. Leaf Vacuum Map and Instructions are available at www.icgov.org/leafvacuum.