The holiday season results in more trash than normal, which means more entering our landfill this time of year. The good news is that there are some easy ways to reduce waste. Be part of the solution by joining us in celebrating the 12 Days of Waste Reduction (Monday, Dec. 7, through Friday, Dec. 18, 2020) to lighten your climate footprint during this merry time.
Here is the lineup of festive, waste-reducing topics:
- Green your tree.
- Green your ornaments.
- Recycle holiday light strands.
- Think out of the box with holiday gift giving.
- Use your power of consumer choice when purchasing gifts.
- Wrap sustainably.
- Reduce holiday food waste with a little planning.
- Properly dispose of batteries.
- Be conscious of Styrofoam.
- Recycle cardboard.
- Recycle correctly.
- Plant or compost your Christmas tree.
Everyday for the next 12 days, look for daily tips and information on these topics at www.icgov.org/reduce and at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Facebook page.