The City has started a new Climate Ambassadors program in order to help create more climate action leaders in Iowa City.
The Climate Ambassador training program is designed to inform and empower effective climate change leaders within the Iowa City community. As local leaders, Ambassadors will:
- LEARN about climate science and effective climate communication strategies.
- MEET others engaged in climate action in the community.
- BUILD channels of communication between neighbors, community groups, businesses, city leadership and staff, and fellow residents.
- ACT on what they learn through personal commitments and volunteer opportunities.
- INSPIRE others to take climate action.
Ambassadors participate in an eight-week training course that involves a combination of online, self-paced learning modules and weekly group meetings with fellow trainees. Due to COVID-19, all weekly group meetings will take place online using a virtual meeting platform.
The first session of Climate Ambassador training runs from October 19, 2020, to December 18, 2020, with a break the week of Thanksgiving. Group meetings are expected to last 60-90 minutes each week.
The meetings will be guided by staff from the Climate Action and Outreach Division of Iowa City. All told, ambassadors can expect to spend 2-3 hours per week on training activities.
Those interested can learn more and apply to participate on the Climate Ambassador's webpage.
Training sessions are scheduled four times a year. Applicants who are not able to be accommodated in the upcoming training session will be alerted when the next application window opens in case they would like to re-apply.