The holiday season is quickly approaching. As you prepare to share a meal with friends and loved ones, the Iowa City Fire Department would like to remind the community that cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries.
Review these safety tips from the Iowa City Fire Department and U.S. Fire Administration to keep you and your loved ones safe this holiday season:
- Unattended cooking is the number one cause of cooking fires. Keep an eye on what you're cooking.
- Move things that can burn away from the stove. This includes dishtowels, bags, boxes, paper, and curtains.
- Keep an eye on what you fry. Most cooking fires start when someone is frying food. Don't let your grease reach a boiling point.
- Make sure children and pets stay at least three feet away from a hot stove.
- Make sure you are awake and alert. Alcohol and some drugs can make you sleepy