Is taking climate action one of your resolutions for the new year? There is still time to apply to the Iowa City Climate Ambassadors program. The application can be found on the Climate Ambassador website and will be accepted through Monday, Jan. 10, 2022.
The program was created to engage climate change leaders within Iowa City to help advance goals identified in the city's Climate Action and Adaptation Plan.
Thirty-nine residents have successfully completed the training since the program began in 2020. As part of the training, Ambassadors:
- LEARN about climate science and effective climate communication strategies.
- MEET others engaged in climate action in the community.
- BUILD channels of communication between neighbors, community groups, businesses, city leadership and staff, and fellow residents.
- ACT on what they learn through personal commitments and volunteer opportunities.
- INSPIRE others to take climate action.
Ambassadors participate in an eight-week training course that involves a combination of online, self-paced learning modules and weekly group meetings with fellow trainees. Due to COVID-19, all weekly group meetings will take place online using a virtual meeting platform.
The Climate Ambassador training runs from Jan. 24 to March 19, 2022. Group meetings are expected to last approximately one hour each week, with another hour spent each week in advance reviewing the required material.
The meetings will be guided by staff from the Climate Action and Outreach Division of Iowa City.
Those interested can learn more and apply to participate on the Climate Ambassador's webpage.
Applicants who are not able to be accommodated in the upcoming training session will be alerted when the next application window opens in case they would like to re-apply.