The Iowa City Farm to Street Dinner is a local food event presented as a joint effort between Johnson County, the City of Iowa City, and the Iowa City Downtown District as a fundraising event for local food initiatives. The mission of the Farm to Street Dinner is to bring together members of Iowa City's diverse, vibrant community to share a table, a story and a meal, while supporting our local food system.
Each year, the of revenue from the Farm to Street Dinner is awarded to an area organization that is working to enhance our local food system. Applications are selected based on the below criteria by a committee of volunteers who organize the event, including representatives from the previous year's awardees. This application is open to all Iowa City/Johnson County organizations who meet the below criteria. Click this link to apply. The deadline to apply is April 27, 2020.
Expectations of Farm to Street program of selected organization:
- Two people from the selected organization will serve on the Farm to Street Planning Committee starting June, 2020.
- Selected organization will recruit 15 able-bodied volunteers to help with tear-down & clean-up the dinner. Volunteers will arrive at the dinner site at 8:30pm and will work until clean-up is complete.
- Selected organization will set up an informational table at the Farm to Street Dinner on August 13, 2020.
- Selected organization will be prepared to do a brief report-back/announcement at the 2020 Farm to Street Dinner about the work that was accomplished with the support of the Farm to Street funds.
Organizations that are pursing the below objectives will be considered for the Farm to Street funding:
- To build a more intact, vibrant, and inclusive local foods system.
- To create opportunities for more community residents to engage in their food system in a meaningfully way.
- To educate the public on food system issues and initiatives.
- To create and encourage partnerships within the food system
The following criteria will be considered in evaluating Farm to Street funding applications:
- Is your organization directly engaged in a sector of the food system. Food System Sectors: Land Stewardship, Production, Distribution, Retail, Consumer, Waste System?
- Do the requested funds support work that serves the Iowa City/Johnson County Community?
- Is your organization a registered non-profit or cooperative organization?
- Does your organization have resources to sustain operations beyond the one-time award from the Farm to Street Dinner?
The Farm to Street Dinner will be held Thursday, Aug. 20, 2020, on North Linn St from 5 - 9 p.m. Tickets for the event are not yet on sale, but will be made available on the Iowa City Downtown District website.
Check out this video recap of the 2019 Farm to Street Dinner.