The Iowa Arts Festival kicks-off Iowa City’s summer festival season, beginning Friday, June 2 and ending Sunday, June 4, 2017, bringing artists and their works, live music, family activities, food vendors and all sorts of fun to Downtown Iowa City for the 35th consecutive year.Click the link below to be directed to the information on this page.
Crews will begin setting up for the festival on Thursday, June 1. Limited access and closures will continue through Sunday, June 4 with all streets reopening between midnight and 1 a.m. on Monday, June 5.
Thursday, June 1, 2017:
No parking starting at 12:30 p.m., roads close at 2 p.m.
- Iowa Ave. between Clinton St. and Dubuque St.
- Iowa Ave. between Dubuque St. and Linn St.
- Clinton St. between Jefferson St. and Washington St.
No parking starts at 4 p.m., roads close at 5 p.m.
- Dubuque St. between Jefferson St. and Washington St.
- Linn St. between Washington St. and Iowa Ave.
- Washington St. between Clinton St. and Linn St.
- Clinton St. between Washington St. and the alley next to Joseph’s Steakhouse
In addition to reduced street parking, some ramp and lot parking will be reserved for festival vendors, artists, performers and service vehicles. Look for posted signs indicating restricted parking.
Parking will operate regular hours, rates and enforcement.
First Hour Free
Take advantage of the First Hour Free program at the Dubuque Street, Capitol Street and Tower Place parking garages, in addition to the Court Street Transportation Center. For more info visit icgov.org/parkingmeters.
Download the PassportParking app and use it to pay for City metered spaces, or to park inside the Chauncey Swan and Harrison Street ramps. Check if ramps space is available remotely by downloading the ParkMe app. For details visit icgov.org/parkingapps.
Special free festival bike parking, that includes a secure valet, will be available at the intersection of Iowa Ave. and Dubuque St., near Culinary Row. No need for bike locks or to carry your helmet around. People are also encouraged to use City racks located throughout downtown.
The bus interchange at the intersection of Clinton and Washington Streets will be temporarily relocated to the Court Street Transportation Center, 150 E. Court St., beginning at 6 a.m., Thursday, June 1 and will remain there until Monday, June 5, 2017.
Transit services will be free on Friday, June 2 and Saturday, June 3. Normal schedules will be in place with the following detour and stop closures beginning on Thursday.
Outbound bus closures:
- Stop 7200: Washington St. and Linn St.
- Stop 7201: Washington St. and Gilbert St.
- Stop 7400: Clinton St. and Jefferson St.
- Stop 7401: Jefferson St. and Linn St.
- Stop 7082: Washington St. and Madison St.
Inbound bus closures:
- Stop 7081: Madison St. and Washington St.
- Stop 7079: UI Lindquist Center
- Stop 7206: Market St. and Linn St.
- Stop 7207: Clinton St. and Jefferson St.
- Stop 7244: Burlington S. and Dubuque St.
Transit will not run on Sunday, June 4. Normal schedules will resume on Monday, June 5.
An accessibility golf cart shuttle will be available to people with mobility issues. Call 401-584-2787 if you need assistance to get from the ramps to the main festival area. An accessible seating area will also be located to the left of the Main Stage on Clinton Street.
General festival information
Information booths will be available at the main festival entrances, in the Ped Mall and at the merchandise both on Clinton Street. A first aid station will be accessible on Clinton Street. Downtown ambassadors and extra police enforcement will be available for questions or concerns.
For more information, visit www.summerofthearts.org.