Iowa City’s holiday fireworks display will close out the annual Summer of the Arts Jazz Festival on Sunday, July 2, 2017.
The show will get underway sometime between 9:30 and 9:45 p.m., following the final jazz performance. Be mindful of the possibility of delays due to inclement weather. The rain date is set for Monday, July 3. Same time, same place.
Spectators are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets and take in the show from the University of Iowa Pentacrest lawn. The west lawn provides the best view, but fireworks will be visible from the east side of the Old Capitol building and Downtown.
ADA parking is available in the Iowa Memorial Union (IMU) parking ramp. People should arrive early to use those spaces.
The Iowa City Fire Department urges people to adhere to barricades and caution tape. Street closures, no parking, and other restrictions are put in place for safety. Vehicles parked in restricted areas may be towed.
The following areas will close to allow for fireworks set-up:
- Hubbard Park, located at the intersection of Madison St. and Iowa Ave., will be closed Saturday and Sunday.
- Metered parking adjacent to the IMU is unavailable due to construction.
- All vehicles parked on the street near the IMU and Hubbard Park must be moved before 8 a.m., Sunday.
The following streets and walkways will close at 9 p.m., Sunday July 3:
- Market St., Jefferson St., and Washington St., between Clinton St. and Madison St.
- Madison St., between Jefferson St. and Washington St.
- Iowa Ave., between Madison St. and Riverside Dr.
- The tunnel between the English-Philosophy Building (EPB) and the IMU
Closures will be in effect until the fireworks display has ended and the crowd has cleared. Some areas will not reopen until crews have inspected and swept for firework debris. If barricades are up, do not enter the area.
For information regarding fireworks, contact Fire Marshal Brian Greer at 319-356-5257 or email@example.com.
Additional downtown street closures and parking restrictions will be in place for the Iowa City Jazz Festival, scheduled June 30 - July 2, 2017. More information to come. For festival details, visit summerofthearts.org.