The City of Iowa City’s Public Art Advisory Committee (PAAC) has expanded the Iowa City Sculpture Showcase, meaning more opportunities for local Iowa sculptors to showcase their work for one year throughout the City!
The Sculpture Showcase was started in 2021 with five locations created throughout town to display the work of local sculptors. This year, there will be eight locations scattered throughout the community at Terry Trueblood Recreation Area, along the Iowa River Trail, in Riverfront Crossings Park, and at Mercer and Scott parks. Visit the online location map for more detail.
The PAAC will be responsible for review and selection of the submissions and determine the most appropriate location for each.
These temporary exhibits will be on display from August 5, 2022 through July, 2023.
Required Artist Information
- Artist’s bio and resume/CV
- Brief statement or explanation of the proposed sculpture and other information related to the materials, installation needs, and potential siting
- Photos or renderings of multiple views of the proposed sculpture (with maximum of five images)
- 2 Professional references
- $1,500 artist’s honorarium ($500 upon agreement execution, $500 upon installation, and $500 upon removal)
- The opportunity to interact directly with the public for about 2 hours at the Grand Opening event on Friday evening, August 5, 2022
- Sales opportunity for exhibited sculpture
Submissions will be evaluated on artistic merit, creativity, public safety, appropriateness to its location, and durability in the outdoors. Work must be able to be securely installed on a 4’ x 4’ cement pad, be of the highest-quality design incorporated into its construction and be able to withstand adverse weather conditions (high winds, rain, heat, snow and freezing temperatures) and an unsupervised general audience. Unstable, fragile, dangerous, inappropriate or small, lightweight works will not be accepted.
Selected artists will be responsible for delivering, installing, and removing their work of art, working closely with City of Iowa City staff as necessary. The City of Iowa City may be able to provide installation assistance in the form of person power and some onsite transportation or moving equipment. These needs should be detailed appropriately in the application.
Works must be installed between July 23-August 5, 2022 in advance of the public reception on Friday, August 5, 2022 (tentative).
Deinstall must take place between July 18-22, 2023. Early pick-up of the work is not permitted.
Insurance and Sales
The City shall maintain insurance coverage on the work while on display at the Iowa City Sculptors Showcase for vandalism, theft, or damage. Insurance coverage is not provided on any works of art while in transit to or from the installation locations.
The sculptures are encouraged to be for sale and will remain on display for the time frame noted in the Artist Agreement. During the course of the year, special efforts will be made to promote the Iowa City Sculptor’s Showcase to encourage purchase the sculptures. Any unsold artwork must be removed by the artist at the end of the exhibition period.
- Friday, May 20, 2022 - Applications due by 11:59 p.m. CST
- June 2, 2022 – Review and selection of submissions by the Iowa City Public Art Advisory Committee
- Week of June 6, 2022 - Notification of selected artists, contracts awarded
- July 23 through August 5, 2022- Delivery and installation of sculptures
- August 5, 2022 - Grand Opening Reception (tentative)
- July 18 through July 22,2023 - Removal of Work
Responsibilities of the City of Iowa City:
- 4’ x 4’ concrete sculpture pad
- $1500.00 honorarium ($500 upon agreement execution, $500 upon installation, and $500 upon removal)
- $10,000 vandalism/theft/liability insurance, once the sculpture is installed
- oversight of the installation process
- a plaque adjacent to the sculpture stating: the title of the sculpture, name of the artist, a QR code leading to the artist’s website and contact information, "Available for Purchase" (if applicable) and "Iowa City Public Art Program"
Responsibilities of the Artist
- delivery and installation of selected artwork (with City oversight)
- meeting all contract deadlines
- any travel expenses
- insurance in excess of that provided by the City (optional)
- repairs and any other necessary work while on display
Contact Wendy Ford, Iowa City Public Art Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-356-5248 with questions or need for additional information.
2021/2022 Selected Artists