Browse through several programs, as well as grant and loan opportunities, available to assist renters and homeowners with housing and improvements. 

For more information about Housing Authority programs, call 319-356-5400. For all other programs, call 319-356-5230. 

General Rehabilitation Improvement Program (GRIP)

About: Homeowners are eligible for low-interest 20-year loans (2.75%) for home improvements, such as additions or renovations, basements, furnace/air conditioning, kitchen and bath renovations, plumbing/electrical upgrades, painting and siding, and historic preservation. 

Qualifications: Homeowners must be under 110% of area median income and the home must be in Iowa City’s corporate limits. Eligible improvements range from $10,000-$40,000.

Learn more and apply:

Contact: Neighborhood and Development Services, 319-356-5230

Green Iowa AmeriCorps Energy Audits

About: Green Iowa AmeriCorps members perform residential energy audits and weatherization in the Iowa City community for all residents with an emphasis on veterans, elderly and low-income residents. The AmeriCorps team also offers energy related education programs to inform the community.

Qualifications: Must live in Iowa City. 

Learn more: and

Contact: Iowa City Parks and Recreation, 319-356-5121

Healthy Homes

About: Households with a member suffering from asthma will receive home repairs to address asthma triggers, and families will receive an in-home visit to provide health education to self-manage asthma and maintain a healthy home.

Qualifications: Renters and homeowners under 80% of median income with a household member with chronic, diagnosed asthma. The home must be in Iowa City’s corporate limits.  Preference provided to those households with a child with asthma. Repairs up to $7,500 that directly impact indoor air quality are eligible.

Contact: Neighborhood and Development Services, 319-356-5230

Historic Preservation Fund Program

About: The Historic Preservation Fund Program is designed to provide owners of historic properties with financial assistance for the rehabilitation and preservation of the exterior architectural features of their property. Funded work will only include exterior work that meets the Iowa City Historic Preservation Guidelines, the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation, and generally involve a restoration or repair of original materials.

Qualifications: To apply for a matching grant, homeowners must have a household income 140% of the median income or less, and the home must be a local landmark or a historic property in an Iowa City Historic or Conservation District.

Learn more and apply: Online application

Staff Contact: Historic Preservation, 319-356-5230

Housing Authority Programs

About: The City currently assists more than 1,400 low-income families to acquire and maintain affordable housing through rental assistance programs. Rental assistance includes the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Veterans' Supportive Housing (VASH), and Public Housing Programs.

Qualifications: Participation in all programs requires the family be within federally established income guidelines.

Learn more and apply:

Contact: Iowa City Housing Authority, 319-356-5400

Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation (CDBG/HOME)

About: Provides zero-interest loans and grants to low-to-moderate income homeowners to aid in making repairs to their homes. Improvements may include comprehensive rehabilitation, exterior repair, residential accessibility, manufactured home repair and energy efficiency improvements.

Qualifications: Homeowners must be below 80% of median income and the home must be in Iowa City’s corporate limits. 

Learn more and apply:

Contact: Neighborhood and Development Services, 319-356-5230

UniverCity Program

About: Rehabilitated homes for sale in university impacted neighborhoods for homeownership. The City purchases homes throughout designated districts and funds up to $50,000 in renovations. 

Qualifications: Various income restrictions may apply.  Applicant must secure financing to purchase the home and enter a deed restriction that requires the home to be owner-occupied for 30 years.

Learn more and apply:

Contact: Neighborhood and Development Services, 319-356-5230


Seeking assistance

Work Unit

Neighborhood and Development Services