Types of housing rehabilitation and requirements
The City offers a wide variety of different ways to help with housing rehabilitation. Below are the different ways we can help, followed by how residents can qualify.
Types of Rehabilitation eligible for assistance
The Energy Efficiency Program runs Sept. 1 to March 1 based on funding availability. Eligible costs are limited to costs associated with the purchase of a high-efficiency furnace, modification of heating or furnace systems, and insulation. Maximum available funds is $6,000.
For the rehabilitation of a structure in order to meet housing standards of the Iowa City Housing Code. Eligible costs can include furnaces, water, heater, fixed electrical equipment, sanitary fixtures, flooring, roofs, siding, windows, etc. Maximum available funds is $24,999.
Emergency repair assistance
Provides assistance for the correction of major violations of housing code standards which make the structure uninhabitable or unsafe. Maximum available funds is $10,000.
Covers the cost of any exterior repair to the main structure including roof and gutter repair, siding, paint, foundation repair, windows, etc. Maximum available funds is $15,000.
Includes improvements to make a property accessible for homeowners who are disabled. Eligible costs may include ramps, doorway widening, grab bars, handicapped toilets, etc. Maximum available funds is $16,000 per project.
Manufactured home repair
Applies only to repairs of items affecting home safety, such as doors, furnaces, water heaters, plumbing, electrical and steps. Maximum available funds is $5,000 per project.
Housing rehabilitation: Do you qualify?
The following conditions must be met for homes to be eligible:
- The home must be located within Iowa City limits.
- The nature or extent of the repairs and improvements cannot exceed what is considered structurally or financially reasonable.
- The home must be a single-family, owner-occupied residence.
- Adequate equity must exist in the home to secure the City's interest.
Your gross household income must fall below 110 percent of the median income level for Iowa City, which depends on the number of people in your household. Some federal programs limit eligibility to households at lower incomes.
- Household size: 1 person, Maximum household income: $73,700
- Household size: 2 persons, Maximum household income: $84,260
- Household size: 3 persons, Maximum household income: $94,820
- Household size: 4 persons, Maximum household income: $105,270
- Household size: 5 persons, Maximum household income: $113,740
- Household size: 6 persons, Maximum household income: $122,210
- Household size: 7 persons, Maximum household income: $130,570
- Household size: 8 persons, Maximum household income: $139,040