Housing rehabilitation: Do you qualify?
The following conditions must be met for homes to be eligible:
- The home must be located within Iowa City limits.
- The nature or extent of the repairs and improvements cannot exceed what is considered structurally or financially reasonable.
- The home must be a single-family, owner-occupied residence.
- Adequate equity must exist in the home to secure the City's interest.
Your gross household income must fall below 110 percent of the median income level for Iowa City, which depends on the number of people in your household. Some federal programs limit eligibility to households at lower incomes.
- Household size: 1 person, Maximum household income: $83,930
- Household size: 2 persons, Maximum household income: $95,920
- Household size: 3 persons, Maximum household income: $107,910
- Household size: 4 persons, Maximum household income: $119,900
- Household size: 5 persons, Maximum household income: $129,580
- Household size: 6 persons, Maximum household income: $139,150
- Household size: 7 persons, Maximum household income: $148,720
- Household size: 8 persons, Maximum household income: $158,290
Effective June 15, 2022
How to apply
If you feel you qualify for assistance with your home rehabilitation project, submit the following application form to Liz Osborne, Housing Rehab, City of Iowa City, 410 E. Washington St., Iowa City 52240. If you have questions, contact Liz Osborne at 319-356-5246 or Liz-Osborne@Iowa-City.org.
- Housing rehabilitation program online application
- Housing rehabilitation program printable application (PDF)
- Solicitud de rehabilitacion de casa (PDF)
A lien or a mortgage will be placed on your property to secure the loan. Depending on the type of project and eligibility criteria, your project may include one or more of the following:
- Zero interest loans - your monthly loan payment will not exceed 30% of your gross income.
- Conditional occupancy (aka deferred payment) loans are not repaid until the property is sold or rented.
- Low-interest loans repaid over a twenty year period.
If your home is located in one of the targeted areas, half of your project cost will be forgiven in five years. A map of target areas can be found here.
- GRIP informational brochure
- Construction and rehabilitation specifications
- Table of contents
- General conditions
- Site work
- Carpentry and millwork
- Moisture protection and roofing
- Doors, windows, glass
- Heating and air conditioning
- Exhibit 1 - Handicapped rules and regulations
- Exhibit 2 - Secretary of the Interior's standards
- Exhibit 3 - Handrail, guardrail and stairway requirements
- Exhibit 4 - Guidelines for the removal of lead-based paint
- Rehab Program Manual