hazardous material

Proper disposal of hazardous material is important for the safety of your family, household pets, and our environment. Reduce the risk of poisonings, fires, and toxic fumes by properly disposing of hazardous materials. The Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center accepts residential household hazardous materials, and offers a program for waste generated by small businesses

The facility also offers the Swap Shop, where residents can browse, free used materials, like auto fluids and paint, in addition to community mobile collection events

Never dispose of hazardous chemicals directly into the garbage, sink, toilet, storm drains, or community waterways. 

Hazardous Material Examples

Hazardous material can be found throughout the home. Look at a product's label - words such as Danger, Warning, and Caution indicate that the product may be hazardous.

  • Kitchen: floor care products, furniture and metal polish, oven cleaner, stain remover, drain cleaner
  • Bathroom: toilet bowl cleaner, mildew remover, abrasive cleaner, disinfectant, hair remover
  • Garage: antifreeze, brake and transmission fluid, engine degreaser, battery acid, lighter fluid, kerosene, gasoline, oil, auto batteries
  • Workshop: oil-based paint, adhesives, glue, resin, solvents, strippers, varnishes, stains, paint thinner, rechargeable batteries, (20 gallon paint limit, including one 5-gallon pail, one per visit)
  • Lawn/garden: weed killer, pesticides, bug spray, fertilizer
  • Light Bulbs: fluorescent light tubes, compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), LEDs
  • Batteries: sealed lead, auto, Ni-Cd, lithium, rechargeable, watch batteries, hearing aid batteries, cellular phone batteries
    • Alkaline batteries are not accepted for recycling at this time. It is recommended to tape the terminals with clear packing tape and to dispose of these in your regular trash.
  • Other:  photo developers, pool chemicals, shoe polish, art supply chemicals, moth balls, nail polish and remover, sharps and syringes

Residential Hazardous Material 

All residents of Iowa City, Johnson County, Riverside, and Kalona can bring hazardous waste to the Hazardous Material Collection Facility at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center (3900 Hebl Ave. SW, Iowa City).  

There is no charge to residential customers, but an appointment is required. No walk-ins are accepted.

All users must follow these instructions for using the facility:

1. Make an appointment

  • Take a quick inventory of the items you want to dispose of (types and quantities of waste).
    • You will be asked about your items when you make your appointment.
  • Call the Landfill at 319-356-5185
    • Staff is available to take your call between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
    • Appointments are available Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.

2. Prepare and Transport Hazardous Material

  • Keep items in their original containers.
  • Never mix materials together.
  • Label unmarked containers.
  • Transport materials in sturdy, leak-proof containers, preferably in your trunk or truck bed.
  • Cushion glass or breakable containers.
  • Note: There is a limit of 20 gallons of paint, including one 5-gallon pail, per visit.

3. Arrive at the Landfill

  • Arrive for your appointment on time.
  • When you arrive, pull through Lane no.1 and park under the overhang on the building. Landfill staff will be ready to serve you.

Reduce your use of hazardous material in your home with green cleaning recipes

Hazardous Material

    Swap Shop 

    While at the Landfill, browse the items in the Exchange Room. These items are in good condition and are free for the taking! Customers have brought them to the Hazardous Material Collection Facility, and are most often paints and automobile fluids. 

    Swap Shop donations are taken on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays by appointment only. Call the Landfill at 319-356-5185 to schedule a time to drop off items. Due to staffing limitations, no items can be accepted without an appointment.

    No appointment is necessary to browse the Swap Shop. Stop by between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday.

    Mobile collections 

    The next mobile collection event will be held Friday, September 6, from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the East Side Recycling Center, 2401 Scott Blvd. SE in Iowa City. There is no cost to participate.  This event is for residents only (no businesses or non-profits).

    Residents of Iowa City and other communities in rural areas of Johnson County, as well as residents of Kalona and Riverside, may dispose of one box of household hazardous materials per household, including oil-based paint, household cleaners, non-alkaline batteries such as rechargeable or cell phone batteries, sharps, motor oil and other automotive fluids. No latex paint will be accepted at this event. 

    Residents with more than one box of household hazardous materials and all businesses, or those with materials that will not be accepted at the mobile event, should call 319-356-5185 to make an appointment for disposal at the Iowa City Landfill’s permanent household hazardous waste collection facility. 

    For more information, contact the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center at 319-356-5185. 

    Mobile neighborhood collection events

    The Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center can schedule mobile hazardous material collection events for neighborhoods in Iowa City and surrounding communities in Johnson County. 

    • Latex paint is not accepted at mobile events.
    • There is a $250 fee for a three-hour event.
    • A six-week lead time is needed to schedule a mobile event.

    Call 319-887-6160 to discuss having an event in your neighborhood or community.

    Small Business Hazardous Material 

    Businesses in Johnson County that generate hazardous material may be eligible for the Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program.

    The program allows businesses that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous material per month, and store less than 1,000 pounds, to safely dispose of hazardous material. 

    To participate, businesses must: 

    Contact Resource Management at 319-887-6160  to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our hazardous material disposal services.

    Questions? Contact Resource Management at 319-356-5151 or the Recycling Coordinator at 319-887-6110 or jane-wilch@iowa-city.org.