Proper disposal of hazardous material is important for the safety of your family, household pets, and our environment. Reduce the risk of poisonings, fires, and toxic fumes by properly disposing of hazardous materials. The Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center accepts residential household hazardous materials, and offers a program for waste generated by small businesses.
Never dispose of hazardous chemicals directly into the garbage, sink, toilet, storm drains, or community waterways.
For more information on accepted materials, view the Household Hazardous Material Guide.
All residents of Iowa City, Johnson County, Riverside, and Kalona can bring hazardous waste to the The Hazardous Material Collection Facility at the Iowa City Landfill, 3900 Hebl Ave.
There is no charge to residential customers, but an appointment is required. No walk-ins are accepted.
All users must follow these instructions for using the facility:
1. Make an appointment
- Take a quick inventory of the items you want to dispose of (types and quantities of waste).
- You will be asked about your items when you make your appointment.
- Call the Landfill at 319-356-5185
- Staff is available to take you call between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Appointments are available Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
2. Prepare and Transport Hazardous Material
- Keep items in their original containers.
- Never mix materials together.
- Label unmarked containers.
- Transport materials in sturdy, leak-proof containers, preferably in your trunk or truck bed.
- Cushion glass or breakable containers.
- Note: There is a limit of 20 gallons of paint, including one 5-gallon pail, per visit.
3. Arrive at the Landfill
- Arrive for your appointment on time.
- When you arrive, pull through Lane no.1 and park under the overhang on the building. Landfill staff will be ready to serve you.
Reduce your use of hazardous material in your home with green cleaning recipes.
While at the Landfill, browse the items in the Exchange Room. These items are in good condition and are free for the taking! Customers have brought them to the Hazardous Material Collection Facility, and are most often paints and automobile fluids.
Swap Shop donations are taken on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays by appointment only. Call the Landfill at 319-356-5185 to schedule a time to drop off items. Due to staffing limitations, no items can be accepted without an appointment.
No appointment is necessary to browse the Swap Shop. Stop by between 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
No community events are scheduled at this time.
Mobile neighborhood collection events
The Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center can schedule mobile hazardous material collection events for neighborhoods in Iowa City and surrounding communities in Johnson County.
- Latex paint is not accepted at mobile events.
- There is a $250 fee for a three-hour event.
- A six week lead time is needed to schedule a mobile event.
Call 319-887-6160 to discuss having an event in your neighborhood or community.
Businesses in Johnson County that generate hazardous material may be eligible for the Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program.
The program allows businesses that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous material per month, and store less than 1,000 pounds, to safely dispose of hazardous material.
To participate, businesses must:
- Complete a VSQG Business Packet
- Schedule an appointment to bring a load
Contact Resource Management at 319-887-6160 to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our hazardous material disposal services.
Questions? Contact Resource Management at 319-356-5151 or the Recycling Coordinator at 319-887-6110 or firstname.lastname@example.org.