Proper disposal of hazardous waste is important to the safety of your family and household pets, as well as the quality of our environment. Reduce the risk of poisonings, fires and toxic fumes by properly disposing of such materials at the Hazardous Waste Collection Facility at the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center. Never dispose of hazardous chemicals directly into your garbage, sink, toilet, storm drains or other routes to our community's waterways.
Examples of household hazardous waste
Hazardous wastes can be found throughout the home. Look for labels on the items - words such as DANGER, WARNING and CAUTION are signals for hazardous waste. Look in the kitchen, bathroom, basement and garage for them. Examples include:
Kitchen: floor care products, furniture and metal polish, oven cleaner, stain remover, drain cleaner
Bathroom: toilet bowl cleaner, mildew remover, abrasive cleaner, disinfectant, hair remover
Garage: antifreeze, brake and transmission fluid, engine degreaser, battery acid, lighter fluid, kerosene, gasoline, oil, auto batteries
Lawn/garden: weed killer, pesticides, bug spray, fertilizer
Workshop: oil-based paint, adhesives, glue, resin, solvents, strippers, varnishes, stains, paint thinner, rechargeable batteries, (20 gallon paint limit, including one 5-gallon pail, one per visit)
Miscellaneous: photo developers; pool chemicals; shoe polish; art supply chemicals; moth balls; nail polish and remover; syringes; fluorescent light tubes, including compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
Batteries: EXCEPT alkaline batteries, including sealed lead, auto, Ni-Cd, lithium, rechargeables, watch batteries, hearing aid batteries and cellular phone batteries.
Alkaline batteries are NOT accepted for recycling at this time. Please dispose of these in your regular trash as they do not contain hazardous materials.
Residential hazardous waste
The Landfill's Hazardous Waste Collection Facility is located at the Iowa City Landfill, 3900 Hebl Avenue (continue on Melrose Avenue about two miles west of Iowa City). All residents of Iowa City, Johnson County, Riverside and Kalona can use this facility. There is no charge to residential customers but an appointment is required due to staffing limitations. No walk-ins are accepted.
Using the facility
It's important that all users follow these instructions for using the facility:
- Take a quick inventory of the items you want to dispose. Make a list of the general types and quantity of waste. You'll be asked about your items when you make your appointment.
- Call the Landfill office at 319-356-5185 during their operating hours, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, to set up an appointment.
- Appointments are available Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Keep items in their original containers. Never mix materials together.
- There is a limit of 20 gallons of paint, including one 5-gallon pail, per visit.
- Label unmarked containers.
- Transport materials to the Recycling Center in sturdy, leakproof containers, preferably in your trunk or truck bed. Cushion glass or breakable containers.
- Arrive for your appointment on time.
- When you arrive, pull through Lane #1 and park under the overhang on the building. Landfill staff will be ready to serve you.
No events are scheduled at this time.
Mobile neighborhood collection events
The Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center can schedule mobile hazardous waste collection events for neighborhoods in Iowa City or surrounding communities in Johnson County. Please note:
- Latex paint is not accepted at mobile events.
- There is a $250 fee for a three-hour event.
- A six week lead time is needed to schedule a mobile event.
Call Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jordan to discuss having an event in your neighborhood or community.
Small business hazardous waste
If your Johnson County business generates hazardous materials, you may be eligible for the Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Program (CESQG). The CESQG program is an affordable program offered by the Iowa City Landfill that allows businesses that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous materials per month, and store less than 1,000 pounds, to safely dispose of hazardous materials. To participate in the program, we need:
A completed CESQG Business Packet
An appointment before bringing a load
Contact us at 319-887-6160 to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our hazardous materials disposal services.
Items not accepted
There are a few materials not accepted at the facility:
- Ammunition and explosives.
- Radioactive materials.
- Infectious medical waste.
- Propane cylinders: To recycle propane cylinders, contact Ferrel Gas at 319-354-4220 or A-1 Propane at 319-337-2034.
- Fire extinguishers: To recycle fire extinguishers, contact Hawkeye Fire and Safety at 319-338-3096 or Iowa Fire Equipment Company at 319-337-4434.
While at the Landfill, take a moment and look through the items in the Exchange Room. These are items other customers have brought to the waste collection facility which are free for the taking. Most often these items are paints and automobile fluids.
Call the Landfill at 319-356-5185 to schedule an appointment to donate items, which are accepted on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Due to staffing limitations, no items can be accepted without an appointment. To browse the Swap Shop, no appointment is necessary, just stop by Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Landfill Division is pleased to be able to provide this service to the local residents. If you have any questions about the facility or its procedures, call 319-356-5185.
Reduce your use of hazardous materials
Please see green cleaning recipes to reduce the use of hazardous materials in your home.