This web page offers information on how to properly dispose of garbage via the City of Iowa City curbside garbage collection programs and via self-hauling to the Landfill.
For information on how to handle waste materials during the pandemic, view Waste and Recycling COVID-19 Recommendations.
- Residential Curbside Garbage Collection
- Self-Hauling Garbage
- Contact Us
Single-family households and multiplexes of four units or fewer receive a 65-gallon City issued garbage cart for weekly curbside collection ($12/month on utility bill). The City of Iowa City maintains ownership of all distributed carts. They must remain at the property where they were delivered.
Iowa City is divided into five sectors for garbage pickup. View the garbage schedule to find your area and match the number to the week day in the map legend.
Additional garbage bags and special items, like electronics and appliances, will be picked up for an extra fee.
There are a few areas throughout the city that are serviced by our white goods truck. Those areas will not be issued a City cart due to the garbage cans having to be manually lifted. For those areas, residents may use up to two 35-gallon garbage containers for their weekly pickup.
Curbside Customer Best Practices
- Do not overfill carts. City ordinance states the lids must be closed.
- Bag all trash. Keep all recycling materials loose.
- Place carts at curb by 7 a.m. on your curbside day
- Keep at least 3-feet clear zone around each cart
- Face arrows on cart lids to street
- Return carts to your storage area at end of curbside day
- Do not paint/write on carts
- Do not remove carts from home
- Put carts at curb only when full
Carts may not be overfilled; lids must be properly closed in order for staff to collect the waste materials, per the City's Solid Waste Rules and Regulations.
Additional garbage bags (with City of Iowa City sticker) left curbside for pickup should be placed next to your trash cart.
- All additional bags must have a City of Iowa City blue refuse sticker affixed to them.
- Stickers ($2.50 each) can be purchased at Iowa City Hy-Vee stores, Iowa City Ace Hardware stores, and at the City Hall Cashier, 410 E. Washington St.
- Bags can be no larger than 35 gallons and weigh no more than 50 pounds.
Please call Resource Management at 319-356-5151 two days in advance of your regular pickup day to schedule curbside collection of any of the following items:
- Large bulky items: items that cannot be broken down to fit in standard (35-gallon maximum) garbage container or bag.
- Examples: chair, couch, mattress.
- Fee: $12.50 for the first item; $6 for each additional item per pickup
- Electronics: computers, televisions, VCRs, printers, etc.
- Electronic waste that does not have a CRT screen/monitor (printers, CPUs, VCRs) are $12.50 for the first item; $6 for each additional item.
- Televisions and computer monitors: $21.50 per item. These are not allowed in the trash and must be recycled.
- Electronic waste can also be taken to the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center, 3900 Hebl Ave. SW, Iowa City, to be properly recycled.
- Appliances: appliances are not allowed in the trash. This includes refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, air conditioners, microwaves, water heaters, etc., $20 per appliance.
- Tires: tires are not allowed in the trash, $3.75 per tire not on rim; $7.50 per tire on rim.
Once pickup is scheduled, any of the above items will be collected on your regular collection day. Have items at curb by 7 a.m. to ensure pickup. Fees for collection will be added to your monthly utility bill. Additional fees could be charged if items are abandoned at the curb, or if items have not been scheduled for collection.
Call Resource Management at 319-356-5151 for questions and to schedule pickup.
Self-Hauling Garbage to the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center
For information on self-hauling garbage and recycling to the Iowa City Landfill and Recycling Center, visit the Landfill and Recycling Centers page.