Welcome to the City of Iowa City Firefighter recruitment webpage!
This page contains detailed information and important resources regarding our current recruitment and hiring process for the position of Firefighter including a message from Chief Grier for persons interested in a career with the Iowa City Fire Department.
Candidates, please note:
- All future communications will be sent by email.
- You will be required to confirm approximately one month before test weekend that you plan to participate in the test weekend. Watch for an emailed request to register in order to be authorized to test on March 30-31.
Persons interested in applying should review the candidate information packet in detail. The candidate information packet can be found here.
- Written test on Saturday, March 30, 2019
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)* on Sunday, March 31, 2019
- Panel Interviews TBD April 2019
Candidates to be recommended for the Civil Service hiring list will be selected from those successfully completing each step of this process.
*Review Candidate Information Packet for information on CPAT orientation and practice session dates and requirements
Written test results and CPAT times will be posted below
Important supplemental information about the process
- Background investigation and driving record review
- Medical exam
- Job description
- Facility locations map
- CPAT candidate preparation guide
410 E. Washington St
Iowa City, IA 52240
It is the policy of the City of Iowa City to afford equal employment opportunities for all employees and potential City employees.
The Iowa Smokefree Air Act prohibits smoking in all public buildings owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of the City of Iowa City, including the grounds of the public buildings such as the sidewalks and the sitting or standing areas immediately adjacent to the buildings. Also, smoking is prohibited in all vehicles owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of the City of Iowa City.