Welcome! If you would like to be added to our notification list for the next Firefighter recruitment, please email your name to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify Firefighter.
Be advised that all candidate correspondence will be directed to the primary email address listed in your application. Be sure that you check your in-box and spam filter frequently.
The City of Iowa City values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and respectful environment for all employees. It is our policy to afford equal employment opportunities for all employees and potential City employees and our goal to achieve a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects the diversity within our community.
- View our candidate information packet to learn more about position requirements, benefits and testing information
- Salary and benefits
- Starting salary of $59,754.76
- Competitive health insurance
- Uniforms provided
- Various training and promotional opportunities
- Paid training
- Special assignment opportunities
- Special Operations
- Why choose ICFD?
- No experience required
- Team/family oriented working environment
- Be part of a vibrant community - small town feel with big city amenities
- Unique 24-hour work schedule
- Work 3 out of 5 days, then 4 days off, with an average of 56 hours/week and an average of 10 days/month
- 64 personnel across 4 stations
- 8,106 calls in 2021 (average of 22 calls/day)
For more information about ICFD, visit their webpage.
Additional information about the process
The Iowa Smokefree Air Act prohibits smoking in all public buildings owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of the City of Iowa City, including the grounds of the public buildings such as the sidewalks and the sitting or standing areas immediately adjacent to the buildings. Also, smoking is prohibited in all vehicles owned, leased, or operated by or under the control of the City of Iowa City.